TradeUp from v50 to v10 via 3L OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

TradeUp from v50 to v10 via 3L OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:46 pm

2L SA expecting offer at v50 v soon.

I have an interview lined up with a v10. Should I still take the interview and see how it goes? FWIW, I did poorly 1L year, but had significant improvement 2L year, and have cumulative GPA around 3.2. I'm at MVP, and I do really like my 2L firm.

Anonymous User

Re: TradeUp from v50 to v10 via 3L OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L SA expecting offer at v50 v soon.

I have an interview lined up with a v10. Should I still take the interview and see how it goes? FWIW, I did poorly 1L year, but had significant improvement 2L year, and have cumulative GPA around 3.2. I'm at MVP, and I do really like my 2L firm.
Did your firm not raise salaries?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L SA expecting offer at v50 v soon.

Did your firm not raise salaries?
They did. And I don't particularly care about the prestige of where the vault rankings fall (unless someone convinces me otherwise that they could have some kind of valuable effect on my career), because I'd rather try to stay at my firm long-term. I just want to make sure it wouldn't be imprudent to turn down this interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Posted because I'm extremely interested in how firms treat people with strong upward trends that still missed that magic 3.3 cum GPA by a hair--no one seems to know anything about grades for 3Ls. How did you get your interview OP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:50 pm

bump.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:27 pm

I'd do the interview and see what happens. Even if your current firm somehow finds out, I doubt they'll care enough to revoke your offer or anything unless you were already pretty close to getting a no-offer. Otherwise there's no downside.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:31 pm

I'd do the interview - no harm in doing it, and you can always use practice interviewing.

That said, if you do get an offer from your current firm and the V10, you should really think about what makes the V10 different from the V50, and what reasons you would be leaving for. Don't leave your V50 just because of its Vault ranking.

loh

New

Post by loh » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:40 am

Does this shit really matter? Why is lawyer life such an endless rat race? Threads like these are fucking depressing. Depressing because this shit matters to people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Received offer from V100 in city and practice group i'd like to be in. Firm pays market and I like everyone there a lot. Should I interview at a firm in same city where I don't think I would like the people that work there (based on things people say about their culutre) but the firm's vault and chambers practice group ratings are much higher?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received offer from V100 in city and practice group i'd like to be in. Firm pays market and I like everyone there a lot. Should I interview at a firm in same city where I don't think I would like the people that work there (based on things people say about their culutre) but the firm's vault and chambers practice group ratings are much higher?
Uhh yes.. duh.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Use this formula to determine whether you should accept an interview: 0.4*(New Firm Vault Rank) + 0.3*ABS(Old Firm Chambers Rank - New Firm Chambers Rank) + 0.3*(Old Firm Culture[scale 1 to 5] - New Firm Culture[scale 1 to 5])

If the number is lower than your current vault firm rank, accept the interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:13 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received offer from V100 in city and practice group i'd like to be in. Firm pays market and I like everyone there a lot. Should I interview at a firm in same city where I don't think I would like the people that work there (based on things people say about their culutre) but the firm's vault and chambers practice group ratings are much higher?
Uhh yes.. duh.
Interesting, so you think it makes sense to suck it up and be somewhere I will possibly be more unhappy for 3-5 years in order to get a more prestigious start to my career?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Uhh yes.. duh.
Interesting, so you think it makes sense to suck it up and be somewhere I will possibly be more unhappy for 3-5 years in order to get a more prestigious start to my career?
Yes. Why choose a place you like over prestige?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:31 pm

Is it really a trade up?

McGruff

Bronze

Post by McGruff » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Uhh yes.. duh.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:58 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Uhh yes.. duh.
Yes. Why choose a place you like over prestige?
Yeah, lawman has really nailed it here. Happiness/people you like is fine, but will never make up for prestige.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”