Turned down work from a bigshot partner, how can I remedy the situation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turned down work from a bigshot partner, how can I remedy the situation?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:03 am

The friday before last friday I was completely swamped after spending the week telling everyone to send me work (which of course culminated at the same time and bit me in the ass). I had three things that were due that day, so when a partner sent me an email asking me if I was still available for research I told him I have a bunch of deadlines that week but I could work on it next week if it wasn't time sensitive. He never responded to that email, I figured he asked one of the other summers and moved on. Last week was relatively slow and I enjoyed doing some easier fluff work and spending some time on the internet. I emailed a couple people for work when I wasn't doing anything, mostly my mentors and the hiring comittee.

On Friday I sat in on a closing with some other attorneys and found out that the guy I turned down is actually a real bigshot in the office in one of the major practice areas for the firm, I didn't know! I feel like an ass because I should have emailed him last week asking for work, and now I feel like it's too late to follow up on his original email. Is there any way I can remedy the situation? Can I email him on Monday asking for work even though I didn't email him when I was completely free last week? I don't want him to think I'm a fuck up so I'm open to any suggestions.

Anonymous User

Re: Turned down work from a bigshot partner, how can I remedy the situation?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:16 am

just pop into his office on monday when he's not in the middle of something. Ask if the assignment he emailed you about is still outstanding and let him know you have some time to work on it for him. Don't be a boob about it. He realizes people get busy.

I say go in person vs email b/c showing your face is better than hiding behind an email. You may start having a conversation with the partner about stuff and he might actually take a liking to you or you'll find a common hobby/etc. Happened to me this past summer and now i consider him a good mentor, even though most summers find him terrifying.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:54 pm

1. Are you a summer associate?
2. Are you at a big firm?
3. Does the firm typically offer all or nearly all the summers?

If the answer to all three questions is "yes," then you're fine. If not, you're probably still fine but the politics of your office will be a little more sui generis.

For the future: Better to turn down work than do a crappy job, but best not to ask for work if you won't be able to accept it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just pop into his office on monday when he's not in the middle of something. Ask if the assignment he emailed you about is still outstanding and let him know you have some time to work on it for him. Don't be a boob about it. He realizes people get busy.

I say go in person vs email b/c showing your face is better than hiding behind an email. You may start having a conversation with the partner about stuff and he might actually take a liking to you or you'll find a common hobby/etc. Happened to me this past summer and now i consider him a good mentor, even though most summers find him terrifying.
OP: The big law partner almost surely forget about the whole thing two seconds after he finished reading your email. But the advice above isn't bad, so long as it's the kind of office where partners keep their doors open and don't mind folks walking into chat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”