How often do your supervisors make changes to your writing? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
encore1101

Silver

Re: How often do your supervisors make changes to your writing?

Post by encore1101 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One thing I have learned is that you can write exactly what the partner would have written, and it will still be marked up to hell and back.

It's the nature of subjectivity.

There have been times where I've cut and pasted an editor's response to a motion to the same different for background procedural/factual history stuff.

AND THEY STILL MADE LINE EDITS.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:14 pm

jkpolk wrote:You should never take edits personally unless the edits include a note saying "this was bad and you should feel bad." Everyone is on the same team. If you feel strongly about certain language it is absolutely OK (and, in fact, is your job) to call your editor and make the case (and be willing to back off quickly if the person disagrees).

Also, this. I work with people who have been writing appellate briefs for 20+ years, and they still have their work edited by coworkers.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:52 pm

jkpolk wrote:You should never take edits personally unless the edits include a note saying "this was bad and you should feel bad." Everyone is on the same team. If you feel strongly about certain language it is absolutely OK (and, in fact, is your job) to call your editor and make the case (and be willing to back off quickly if the person disagrees).
I've found in my short career that speaking up about how you think something should be presented (after someone tells you they think differently) is the fastest way to start getting treated like an adult. It never hurts to say something like "I understand what you're saying, my thinking was if we xxxxxx, then yyyyyy." And if they still say no, then ok, do it their way. I've just found sometimes shit I write gets edited because the editor doesn't understand my thinking and thinks I'm dumb, but if I explain the thought I've put into why I did what I did (and why I left consciously left out A and B but put in C), thats a good way to start developing their trust.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2016 1:53 pm

NY big law corp first year.

partner asked me to draft a document for some transaction.

send draft to her. first time ever drafting something like this, used a model online, felt good about it.

partner: "im not even going to blackline this and send it back because it wouldn't be useful. I changed almost everything"

such is life

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”