Steptoe DC? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Steptoe DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Torn between this firm and another similarly-sized firm on the west coast. Very strongly leaning towards lit, can't really see myself doing corporate work, but what the hell do I know as a 2L. Just wondering what people's thoughts are about the firm. I've looked at Vault and Chambers, which provided some decent info, but I'm looking to hear from people who might have some additional insight on the firm. Did a lot of digging on TLS and can't find many threads about the firm. Anyone know how it's doing financially? What about the culture? Exit options? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Steptoe DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Steptoe had a 70% offer rate for their SAs last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:21 pm

so, I know 100% offer rate is always the way to go, but considering steptoe is comparatively smaller than most of the massive vault-whatever firms, is a 70% offer rate really that bad? not questioning the relevance or significance of this info at all, just wondering how typical/atypical a 70% offer rate is, and whether this is an indication of a broader problem at the firm. please excuse my stupidity, as i realize i probably sound like a moron asking this question. thanks so much again

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so, I know 100% offer rate is always the way to go, but considering steptoe is comparatively smaller than most of the massive vault-whatever firms, is a 70% offer rate really that bad? not questioning the relevance or significance of this info at all, just wondering how typical/atypical a 70% offer rate is, and whether this is an indication of a broader problem at the firm. please excuse my stupidity, as i realize i probably sound like a moron asking this question. thanks so much again
No matter what the real reason is, yes. 70% is horrible when you compare it to 100% or 95% like most big firms. It wouldn't matter if this were banking where that's standard procedure, but the no-offer makes it exponentially harder to get something later, and 3L OCI would be a joke if it were even remotely funny. Don't worry about sounding like a moron, just go confirm that offer rate (as I honestly have no idea what their numbers are), and act accordingly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:26 pm

thank you for putting that into perspective, that's really helpful to know. is it permissible for me to ask the firm about this info? if so, do i ask recruiting, or one of the partners who's told me to reach out with any questions? and is there a diplomatic way to ask this question? sorry again, normally i don't ask common sense-type questions, but this is just super unfamiliar terrain to me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thank you for putting that into perspective, that's really helpful to know. is it permissible for me to ask the firm about this info? if so, do i ask recruiting, or one of the partners who's told me to reach out with any questions? and is there a diplomatic way to ask this question? sorry again, normally i don't ask common sense-type questions, but this is just super unfamiliar terrain to me
They already report that information. Check NALP directory or the firm's Vault page for last year's SA offer numbers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:06 pm

seems they don't have a NALP page. vault says 9 out of 13, so ill assume that's the case

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:55 pm

sorry, I'm an idiot. thanks for that. 10/13 it is...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:29 am

No problem---I'm actually in your position as well. Does anybody know what Steptoe's offer rate has been before last summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:04 am

Wondering this as well. Would be helpful to know if last year was just an outlier, or if Steptoe regularly no-offers a few people from its summer class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Update: I talked to a contact at the firm and got a response that, for me, completely clears things up---I now have zero concerns about Steptoe's offer rate. I'd rather not post the details here, but I would advise talking to recruiting about it.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Update: I talked to a contact at the firm and got a response that, for me, completely clears things up---I now have zero concerns about Steptoe's offer rate. I'd rather not post the details here, but I would advise talking to recruiting about it.
For the record - recruiting is in the business of recruiting. So take what they say with a grain of salt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Yeah, I have a feeling K&L Gates tells summers the same thing every year. Follow your dreams, OP.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:29 pm

^accidental anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 pm

I'm the OP and i wasn't the one who spoke with recruiting, that was a different poster, just an fyi. but aside from the # of no-offers issue, does anyone else have any intel on the firm? I've spoken to lots of people who work there but would love to hear from anyone who has friends there or whatnot, and can speak to the the culture or anything else that would be worth knowing. west coast offer is expiring soon so it would be really great to get some thoughts

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the OP and i wasn't the one who spoke with recruiting, that was a different poster, just an fyi. but aside from the # of no-offers issue, does anyone else have any intel on the firm? I've spoken to lots of people who work there but would love to hear from anyone who has friends there or whatnot, and can speak to the the culture or anything else that would be worth knowing. west coast offer is expiring soon so it would be really great to get some thoughts
I mean, all I can give you are the impressions I got from interviewing there myself and the articles in ATL about them feuding with a burger place next door. Generally they were likable, but I don't know enough about their practice areas or culture to give you anything to go on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:00 pm

The interviewer they sent to our OCI smelled TERRIBLE and lost my transcript within an hour of the interview.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”