Living in D.C. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wildcat47

New

Re: Living in D.C.

Post by wildcat47 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I hate the red line as much as the next but red line neighborhoods are better than green/yellow line neighborhoods especially for BL commute.

If OP doesn't do red line neighborhoods, he/she'll have to live in columbia heights/shaw/cap south/SE waterfront (or god forbid Foggy Bottom/Georgetown) which would be a poor decision imo.
What's wrong with Foggy Bottom?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:07 pm

wildcat47 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:I hate the red line as much as the next but red line neighborhoods are better than green/yellow line neighborhoods especially for BL commute.

If OP doesn't do red line neighborhoods, he/she'll have to live in columbia heights/shaw/cap south/SE waterfront (or god forbid Foggy Bottom/Georgetown) which would be a poor decision imo.
Nothing is really wrong with it, but there's not a lot of nightlife and what there is caters to obnoxious GW undergrads

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:00 am

What about living in Alexandria, VA and commuting via the blue line? My firm is near Foggy Bottom but the rents look pretty high there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:05 am

I lived in Alexandria over the summer - works pretty well. The yellow line has a ton of trains during rush hour, so you never have to wait long. Most people live in DC, so you're going to be a little away from the action, but an uber is like 13 bucks across the bridge so it's not horrible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:15 am

Logan Circle is a great choice. Very centrally located, so you can pretty much walk to work (unless it's 100 degrees in which case you can Uber or grab Metro at Gallery Place/Shaw). Those on this forum who suggested red line neighborhoods over Green and Yellow line neighborhoods must have little children or something. If you live in Woodley Park as a summer associate you're simply doing it wrong. Dupont, fine. But Dupont tends to attract the bridge and tunnel crowd and the nightlife is reminiscent of Times Square on New Years. Shaw/Columbia Heights/U St. are the best spots to have fun as a summer. Do not live in Penn Quarter unless you want to live above a tourist trap restaurant on the National Mall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:23 am

I take it you're either working for Arnold & Porter or Covington (congrats!). Regardless, the poster who made that little map with the blue and red circles knows what s/he's talking about. Don't live in NoMA unless like you chain restaurants and long walks through the ghetto. I would draw 10 - 15 block circle on a map with 14th and R St. NW at the center.

goldendoodle

New

Post by goldendoodle » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Logan Circle is a great choice. Very centrally located, so you can pretty much walk to work (unless it's 100 degrees in which case you can Uber or grab Metro at Gallery Place/Shaw). Those on this forum who suggested red line neighborhoods over Green and Yellow line neighborhoods must have little children or something. If you live in Woodley Park as a summer associate you're simply doing it wrong. Dupont, fine. But Dupont tends to attract the bridge and tunnel crowd and the nightlife is reminiscent of Times Square on New Years. Shaw/Columbia Heights/U St. are the best spots to have fun as a summer. Do not live in Penn Quarter unless you want to live above a tourist trap restaurant on the National Mall.
Pretty much the only credited response in this entire thread. Although this is D.C. we're talking about--a small city and quite feasible to live in a different neighborhood from the one you go out in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:10 am

Some of the posts ITT are eerily similar to those tea party rally guides from a while back: http://dcist.com/2010/08/welcome_to_dc_tea_party.php

(Aka Red line because white people)

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Some of the posts ITT are eerily similar to those tea party rally guides from a while back: http://dcist.com/2010/08/welcome_to_dc_tea_party.php

:roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some of the posts ITT are eerily similar to those tea party rally guides from a while back: http://dcist.com/2010/08/welcome_to_dc_tea_party.php

as brave an anon as it is useful

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:11 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
wildcat47 wrote:

Nothing is really wrong with it, but there's not a lot of nightlife and what there is caters to obnoxious GW undergrads
thats why i didnt include it in my map

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”