Hughes Hubbard vs. Cadwalader Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hughes Hubbard vs. Cadwalader

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:08 pm

I had only cwt but just now snagged an offer from Hughes and was wondering what people thought? I'm interested in transactional, but not particularly sure. Would likely aim for cap markets in cwt, but mainly because that's their focus.

Anonymous User

Re: Hughes Hubbard vs. Cadwalader

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had only cwt but just now snagged an offer from Hughes and was wondering what people thought? I'm interested in transactional, but not particularly sure. Would likely aim for cap markets in cwt, but mainly because that's their focus.
Totally speculative, but I have a friend who worked at Cadwalader through their diversity scholars program or something. He didn't even interview at the firm for 2L summer because of how bad his Cadwalader experience was. In terms of the rigor of the program, I have no clue, but QOL there is apparently exceptionally bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Supposedly the firm has taken strong efforts to improve and the few summers I spoke to seems to have liked the experience. But the reputation still scares me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:32 pm

If you want to do transactional work, don't go to HHR. Rather, Really just don't go to HHR period.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Do a second look now that you have two offers and get a better feel for each. Every NYC big law firm is going to work you, it really depends on the people and the quality of the experience you are getting. I have friends at both firms and both are as happy as you can billing 2k+ hours a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had only cwt but just now snagged an offer from Hughes and was wondering what people thought? I'm interested in transactional, but not particularly sure. Would likely aim for cap markets in cwt, but mainly because that's their focus.
Totally speculative, but I have a friend who worked at Cadwalader through their diversity scholars program or something. He didn't even interview at the firm for 2L summer because of how bad his Cadwalader experience was. In terms of the rigor of the program, I have no clue, but QOL there is apparently exceptionally bad.
TBH if that was in NYC this summer I wouldn't put too much stock in that person's experience. Don't want to get into specifics about why that person's experience may not be representative, but pretty much everyone else in the summer class had a positive experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:25 am

Seconded on the above... was also a summer there and I would not consider that person's experience as representative, if it is who I am thinking of.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:52 am

lol i wouldn't mind hearing more about this ^ btw

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:45 am

Yea let's hear more about this. Why does everyone on TLS keep insisting that associates are miserable at Cadwalader?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:20 am

Will just say it wasn't a big deal at all (nothing crazy, bad, interesting or juicy happened), but that person's circumstances seemed unique and probably significantly influenced their experience--most of us seemed to have fun and positive experiences.

As to people on here talking about how miserable the associates are, I'm not sure how much of that is current reality and how much of that is based on our past reputation. I mean there certainly are some overworked people and unhappy people, but my understanding is that is common in NYC biglaw. It certainly didn't seem like associates were extraordinarily unhappy. Most of the associates in the transactional areas seemed to enjoy their work and the firm. I didn't do any lit work, so the lit people I met were all the most social ones that came to firm events regularly. Naturally, they were a fairly happy bunch. But I've also heard that recruiting at many firms make an effort to shield summers from what it is really like. So, I may have no idea what I am talking about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 am

I was in that same Diversity Scholars program a few years ago and loved it, returned to the firm for 2L. As far as I know everyone in my year enjoyed the experience as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”