SEC Chair's Attorney Honors Program 2015-2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEC Chair's Attorney Honors Program 2015-2016

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else hear anything?

To the above poster, and anyone else who might be able to provide insight: If you are entering the program as a former clerk/fellow, and have already been admitted to a state bar, the only applicable probationary period is the generic one that applies to all fed employees, right? Were salaries fairly consistent last year among clerks/fellows beginning the program? Can anyone shed some light on what the process is like after receiving a verbal offer (salary negotiation, if any; background check; formal written offer; start date?) Thank you!
Yes, you will only have the standard two year probationary period if you have already passed the bar when you are appointed. Salaries were very consistent: between 96-99k in DC with SK-14 non-competitive promotion potential. I don't believe there was room for negotiation but I didn't try. Note that you can add basically another 10k to that salary since the loan repayment program (which works with PSLFP and PAYE) is now open to attorneys as soon as they start. The process worked like this for me: soft offer from division, around 4 days later an official "verbal" offer from HR, around 2 weeks later an official written offer from HR with salary (this is where you might try negotiating, but I don't think it's really possible with CAHP positions), then you start the security check which supposedly can take a while but for me only took around 2 weeks, then pick your start date and get your final official offer letter. So total time from soft offer to completing the process was about a month for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Does anyone know whether the various division sends rejection notices to applicants they have interviewed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether the various division sends rejection notices to applicants they have interviewed?
I don't think so. If you were a finalist you might want to email the person who set up your interview. I think last year some divisions gave out offers in mid January though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else hear anything?

To the above poster, and anyone else who might be able to provide insight: If you are entering the program as a former clerk/fellow, and have already been admitted to a state bar, the only applicable probationary period is the generic one that applies to all fed employees, right? Were salaries fairly consistent last year among clerks/fellows beginning the program? Can anyone shed some light on what the process is like after receiving a verbal offer (salary negotiation, if any; background check; formal written offer; start date?) Thank you!
Yes, you will only have the standard two year probationary period if you have already passed the bar when you are appointed. Salaries were very consistent: between 96-99k in DC with SK-14 non-competitive promotion potential. I don't believe there was room for negotiation but I didn't try. Note that you can add basically another 10k to that salary since the loan repayment program (which works with PSLFP and PAYE) is now open to attorneys as soon as they start. The process worked like this for me: soft offer from division, around 4 days later an official "verbal" offer from HR, around 2 weeks later an official written offer from HR with salary (this is where you might try negotiating, but I don't think it's really possible with CAHP positions), then you start the security check which supposedly can take a while but for me only took around 2 weeks, then pick your start date and get your final official offer letter. So total time from soft offer to completing the process was about a month for me.
I second this post. Few additional points, you can try to negotiate salary but I doubt you would have much luck. I tried to no avail lol. it does not hurt to try. The background check does takes months but it is a non-issue since you get an interim clearance before you start while the background check is pending. Also, I have heard that not all the divisions offer student loan repayment to first years (some require a year of service first), not sure if they have "officially" changed this rule yet..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”