Rising 3L Attempting to Switch Firms in Same Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
t0wlie

New

Rising 3L Attempting to Switch Firms in Same Market

Post by t0wlie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 am

So i'm a rising 3L at a top Bay Area school who recently summered at a large firm. After receiving an offer I am contemplating my options and have begun to reach out to other firms. I would ideally like to be in SF (and maybe SV depending on the firm). My 1L grades were less than stellar and I feel as if my potential options were far more limited at 1L OCI than they are now.

I am looking to move to a firm I'd be happier at and that will provide substantial exit opportunities--Cooley, Latham, Fenwick, O'Melveney, Wilson, etc are amongst firms I am interested in interviewing with. The firm I worked at is a v50 and top 20 Bay Area firm. Though my 1L grades were pretty atrocious they have improved significantly during 2L. I also worked at the SEC last summer and interview pretty well.

Having received an offer I'm wondering what y'all think my chances are to successfully switch firms as well as any input/advice and strategy you may have to share. How much do 1L grades matter? My career office told me many firms are unaware of their needs as they have offers open/havent all given them out yet, so I'm a little unsure though i have reached out to a few firms and started talking to people who summered in SF.

Thanks for the input!!!!!.
Last edited by t0wlie on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Rising 3L Attempting to Switch Firms in Same Market

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:14 am

It really depends on the needs of the firm(s). If a firm is able to fill all of its predicted need through its summer class, then it will likely not look to hire any 3Ls. However, some firms realized they will likely have a greater need than what they are getting through their summer class so they interview 3Ls.

Your best bet would be to go through your school's OCI as a 3L. But, it may be too late for that. Second best option is to send over a cover letter, resume and transcript to the recruiting coordinator at every firm you are interested in.

I managed to just accomplish the same exact thing in my market via emailing the recruitment chair of my desired firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:47 am

I think the above advice is exactly backwards. Your best bet is almost certainly not your school's OCI.

Instead
send over a cover letter, resume and transcript to the recruiting coordinator at every firm you are interested in.
As for your chances of success, I have received nothing but "not hirings" or radio silence from Bay Area/SV firms. But I have no ties to the area.

I do know, per Symplicity, that Latham SF is at least seeking students to interview.

t0wlie

New

Post by t0wlie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I skipped OCI for the most part. I was going to hit Latham's hospitality suite but had a conflict and couldn't make it.

IM think I may mass mail more now and then follow up in a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Trying to do the same thing and trade up to a better firm. I have been mass mailing and did 3L OCI. How tailored have you made your cover letters? And, what reasons have you given for wanting to switch?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t0wlie

New

Post by t0wlie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to do the same thing and trade up to a better firm. I have been mass mailing and did 3L OCI. How tailored have you made your cover letters? And, what reasons have you given for wanting to switch?

I should've done 3L oci. I have been mailing too, although only the firms I think I'd want to work at. I have made my cover letters pretty extensive, but mostly just to delve deeper into my interests and work experience since I actually know wtf its like to practice law now. I guess you could say I'm tailoring my cover letters bc I know what I want to do and I'm really only emailing firms who have a strong reputation in the area i want to practice.

Also, i haven't really given any reasons for wanting to switch. Not in my emails/cover letter anyways. I just mention that I received an offer but am looking elsewhere for employment. If they want to interview me I'm sure they'll ask, and ill just tell them I wasn't as happy with the office as I'd hoped and want to be in SF.

Have you gotten any bites? what are you stats and stuff? I've heard once you get an offer grades arent quite as important. I just hope my 1L grades dont screw me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 pm

ZERO bites. I am willing to work in any practice area. It is hard because I know for many 3L positions, some firms will hire for a specific group so I feel like I have been trying to guess which group may hire. Looking throughout CA too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”