Tell me about your secretary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Rate your Secretary

Poll ended at Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:49 am

Great (like Harvey’s Donna on Suits)
10%
Pretty Good
34%
Less than Pretty Good
3%
Easier to do it myself
52%

Total votes: 29

Anonymous User

Tell me about your secretary

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:49 am

JA at a firm who shares a veteran secretary with one of the elder partners. She is totally unreliable. My cohorts also complain about their secretaries… is this normal? I am not demanding a “Donna at Suits,” but at least a secretary who is somewhat helpful.

Tell us about your secretary.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Tell me about your secretary

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:17 am

They're all fine at my office but I wouldn't give them anything more complicated than a letter to print and mail or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Mine is a nice person and you can tell she's trying, but she's lousy. Almost as lousy as the paralegals around here. It's funny because there are some amazing assistants at the firm, but there are also some real duds.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:30 pm

This might be the shittiest thread on TLS, conceptually.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:31 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:This might be the shittiest thread on TLS, conceptually.
I agree with the sentiment but, no, not even close.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:02 pm

My prior assistant was utterly god-awful, so much so that I actually felt compelled to tell HR that (1) she suckkkkkked and (2) I need a new one as fast as possible. I complained enough that they actually let me interview potential replacements. From that, I found my current assistant, and she is just fantastic. So great that if I were to ever leave my firm, I'd try and bring her with me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Mine is very knowledgeable and capable, but she has the work ethic of a dead fish.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:01 pm

ymmv wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:This might be the shittiest thread on TLS, conceptually.
I agree with the sentiment but, no, not even close.
Execution hasn't been too bad yet, but I stand by my statement that the concept is as bad as I've seen.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:06 pm

ITT, nearly-useless associates complain about secretaries being useless, but probably know nothing about what those secretaries actually do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:07 pm

jrf12886 wrote:ITT, nearly-useless associates (who are paid $160k/year) complain about secretaries (paid a fraction of that) being useless, but probably know nothing about what those secretaries actually do.

so ambivalent

New

Post by so ambivalent » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:31 pm

One of our partners' had an emotional breakdown and said I belittled her when I triesd to explaing you can save a pdf (the pdf was a civil summons form) without converting it into a word document. She also left to go home "sick" when I asked her to call the DE Sec State re: corp filing fees and whether to make it by check or credit card. I can't even look at her anymore.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:43 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Outis Onoma

Bronze

Post by Outis Onoma » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:46 pm

so ambivalent wrote:One of our partners' had an emotional breakdown and said I belittled her when I triesd to explaing you can save a pdf (the pdf was a civil summons form) without converting it into a word document. She also left to go home "sick" when I asked her to call the DE Sec State re: corp filing fees and whether to make it by check or credit card. I can't even look at her anymore.

Well, were you being an ass about it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Mine has curly brown hair and is pretty cute, but in an understated way. She doesn't wear a lot of makeup and she doesn't seem like she likes her job very much. To be honest, I sort of have a crush on her but she is engaged to this blue collar idiot guy that works in the building. I'm hoping she breaks things off before the wedding but I don't know if I have the courage to do more than flirt with her at her desk.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mine has curly brown hair and is pretty cute, but in an understated way. She doesn't wear a lot of makeup and she doesn't seem like she likes her job very much. To be honest, I sort of have a crush on her but she is engaged to this blue collar idiot guy that works in the building. I'm hoping she breaks things off before the wedding but I don't know if I have the courage to do more than flirt with her at her desk.
Lol I guess there's nothing like stealing a blue collar d-bag's girl.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mine has curly brown hair and is pretty cute, but in an understated way. She doesn't wear a lot of makeup and she doesn't seem like she likes her job very much. To be honest, I sort of have a crush on her but she is engaged to this blue collar idiot guy that works in the building. I'm hoping she breaks things off before the wedding but I don't know if I have the courage to do more than flirt with her at her desk.

THE OFFICE

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:02 pm

Mine is very nice and does my basic shit fine but yeah I much prefer to do my own printing editing whatever

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:42 pm

lemons wrote:

THE OFFICE
The part about her being attractive was a dead give away

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:23 am

mr.hands wrote:
lemons wrote:

THE OFFICE
The part about her being attractive was a dead give away
lol this was awesome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”