Employer rescinding an accepted offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employer rescinding an accepted offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:09 pm

I don't know why I am worried about this question, but it's driving me crazy. I am a (kind of) recent graduate who's been volunteering and taking contract work for a pretty long time. This month I accepted an offer from a government agency in another city, with a start date in the beginning of September. I asked them for this date to have enough time to relocate and give my current place enough notice. Everyone I talked to was happy for me but one of my mentors, who also works for a government agency, said I should start earlier "in case the employer changes its mind." When asked what he meant, my mentor said he doesn't like having the employer wait for that long.

No one else I talked to mentioned this to me when I told them I would be starting in September. Plus, I really do need the time to wrap things up and move. Now I can't stop thinking about it and remembering the stories about BigLaw firms rescinding offers to first-year associates. I have never heard of this happening with government employers (except for summer internships or honors opportunities)- but has anyone here? Does it happen...often? Obviously, I am very excited because it's my first real offer in who knows how long, and I am also making all the preparations to leave my current position and move to a different city. It just drives me insane thinking that the offer might be rescinded. But it's not like I can trust my ability to think straight after being unemployed for so long. :P

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Employer rescinding an accepted offer?

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Depends upon the situation. Usually government hiring is done when funds become available rather than simply when there is a need--therefore the agency often is backlogged with overdue work & needs help ASAP. Without more info. it seems odd that one who was unemployed for a long period of time & relegated to doing volunteer work & occasional contract work would be so casual about starting a new job. Regardless, if you request to start a month or so later than expected is okay with your new employer, then you should be fine--even though your lack of enthusiasm is a bit perplexing. Is this a low paying position ?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:57 pm

You have over a month? What's the hold up? Your volunteer place is not top priority.

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:05 pm

Do you have a formal offer letter with a start date on it? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. While anything can always happen, it's pretty rare for employers to rescind formal job offers when they have already agreed to a start date. In general though, it's better not to wait more than 2-3 weeks to start unless you have good reasons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:13 pm

lapolicia wrote:Do you have a formal offer letter with a start date on it? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. While anything can always happen, it's pretty rare for employers to rescind formal job offers when they have already agreed to a start date. In general though, it's better not to wait more than 2-3 weeks to start unless you have good reasons.
OP here- yes, a formal letter with start date/salary/brief benefits description, accepted via phone call and email restating the start date and salary.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Then you're okay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”