GW OCI 2015 (c/o 2017) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GW OCI 2015 (c/o 2017)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:47 pm

Now that we rising 2Ls have our grades/scholar designations back, we can discuss OCI, bidding strategies and also screeners/callbacks/offers, etc.

When posting your screener results; post rank and journal (law review or secondary journal) and where you bid. This thread will be helpful for next year's 1Ls.

Here's the format to post:

Market(s):
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median):
Law review (Y/N):
Skills Board (Moot Court, Mock Trial, ADR):
Work experience (Y/N):
IP background (Y/N):
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really):
Screening Interviews:
Mass mails:
Callbacks received:
Callbacks accepted:
Offers w/vault ranges:
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?

--Arthur Radley--

Anonymous User

Re: GW OCI 2015 (c/o 2017)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Will come back and edit this with stats, but for now I have a question:

When are we supposed to find out if we were selected for any of the NY interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:09 am

NY and Philly interviews are supposed to be announced on July 31st. Apparently CSO just gives everyone an interview time instead of choosing your own (like they did with the Public Interest Program in the spring).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:05 pm

Hey GW. I'm an alum, V50 associate, and OCI interviewer for my firm. As I've done in past years, I'll be glad to jump in here and answer any OCI questions specific to GW. I remember wishing this thread was more active when I went through OCI, so I'm happy to assist you guys as much as I can without identifying myself.

For reference, here are a couple of GW's past threads:

GW 2014: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=231368
GW 2012: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=187366

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:45 pm

What are some of the best questions that you have received during OCI interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some of the best questions that you have received during OCI interviews?
V50 interviewer here.

I won't give any specific examples to avoid outing myself/my firm, but generally speaking, the best questions I get are ones where (1) you couldn't find the answer yourself online and (2) you actually want to know what the answer is. I make sure to give my interviewees at least 3 minutes to ask questions, because I remember how hard it was to tell the difference between firms and I really do want to help interviewees understand what my firm is about in comparison to the other guys. It's annoying when interviewees waste that time asking something that should be obvious from my firm's website ("do your summer associates do a rotation?") or when you're asking something because you know you're supposed to have questions prepared, but you couldn't care less what my answer is ("what classes should I take?" or "why did you decide to do [practice group]?").

Before your interview day, I recommend taking at least fifteen minutes to look at the firm's website and, if possible, the profiles of the people interviewing you, and come up with 2 questions that you actually care about. Even though every firm looks the same when you're in law school, there are differences (albeit subtle ones) that you can ask about. Identify what's unique about a firm (or, at least, what the firm wants you to think is unique about them) and ask about that. Also, there are a lot of things about law firms that you should care about (aside from compensation), so figure out what matters to you and ask about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are some of the best questions that you have received during OCI interviews?
V50 interviewer here.

I won't give any specific examples to avoid outing myself/my firm, but generally speaking, the best questions I get are ones where (1) you couldn't find the answer yourself online and (2) you actually want to know what the answer is. I make sure to give my interviewees at least 3 minutes to ask questions, because I remember how hard it was to tell the difference between firms and I really do want to help interviewees understand what my firm is about in comparison to the other guys. It's annoying when interviewees waste that time asking something that should be obvious from my firm's website ("do your summer associates do a rotation?") or when you're asking something because you know you're supposed to have questions prepared, but you couldn't care less what my answer is ("what classes should I take?" or "why did you decide to do [practice group]?").

Before your interview day, I recommend taking at least fifteen minutes to look at the firm's website and, if possible, the profiles of the people interviewing you, and come up with 2 questions that you actually care about. Even though every firm looks the same when you're in law school, there are differences (albeit subtle ones) that you can ask about. Identify what's unique about a firm (or, at least, what the firm wants you to think is unique about them) and ask about that. Also, there are a lot of things about law firms that you should care about (aside from compensation), so figure out what matters to you and ask about it.

Thanks for taking questions, this actually made me think of something I've always wondered but never had anyone to ask. I (like at least a good number of people) am going into OCI with very little knowledge of individual firms, and essentially everything I know about any given firm will be from their website, chambers, or vault. For whatever reason, I feel a little disingenuous saying something like "I know your firm is well known for its _____ culture" (or whatever, I can't think of a great example at the moment) without tagging on "from what I've read on ____." But at the same time, tagging on that you know this from reading it online seems a bit... awkward. As an interviewer, do you just assume that people are going off information they found somewhere online?

I definitely think I am putting way too much thought into this, but I think its because I'm imagining a scenario where I mention something I've heard about the firm, and an interviewer will be like "where did you hear that?" and then I would feel like I had been dishonest by not saying that I had "heard" about it through internet in the first place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for taking questions, this actually made me think of something I've always wondered but never had anyone to ask. I (like at least a good number of people) am going into OCI with very little knowledge of individual firms, and essentially everything I know about any given firm will be from their website, chambers, or vault. For whatever reason, I feel a little disingenuous saying something like "I know your firm is well known for its _____ culture" (or whatever, I can't think of a great example at the moment) without tagging on "from what I've read on ____." But at the same time, tagging on that you know this from reading it online seems a bit... awkward. As an interviewer, do you just assume that people are going off information they found somewhere online?

I definitely think I am putting way too much thought into this, but I think its because I'm imagining a scenario where I mention something I've heard about the firm, and an interviewer will be like "where did you hear that?" and then I would feel like I had been dishonest by not saying that I had "heard" about it through internet in the first place.
V50 interviewer here. Glad to help.

One big mistake interviewees make is pretending to know more about a firm than they do. It is totally acceptable, and expected, for you to know firms only by reputation. Yes, I assume everything you know about my firm comes from online research (specifically, I'm guessing you've looked at our website, vault, and chambers--if you haven't, we need to have a totally different conversation). You really only need to know enough to ask decent questions ("I know your firm is well respected for [x], can you tell me more about that practice?") and to answer the ubiquitous "why this firm" question ("I really like that your firm is [x]").

Just make sure you don't overcompensate for your lack of knowledge by acting like you're already an associate. In all likelihood, you'll say something completely wrong about the firm and look like an idiot. I once had an interviewee tell me how excited he was about a particular highly-ranked practice group at my firm . . . which is wholly located in another office for which I was not interviewing. Needless to say, he did not get a callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Anyone know if OCI info is ever posted before the stated time? As in, any chance we will know before tomorrow evening which firms pre-selected us?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if OCI info is ever posted before the stated time? As in, any chance we will know before tomorrow evening which firms pre-selected us?
I think if anything it'll come out late. I'm only going off memory right now, but I think we only found out about preselects less than an hour before scheduling opened up last year.

Actually never mind, they came out a few hours early.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Are they out now? Mine says "applied" - does that mean nothing?

amw5471

New

Post by amw5471 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are they out now? Mine says "applied" - does that mean nothing?
They've said applied since you bid on them :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:55 pm

Looks like they're gone now, but NY regional interview selections were up for an hour or two.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:11 pm

I saw them, too. But, I couldn't tell if it was all of them or just some.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:09 pm

Transfer that was top 10% at previous TT school. Bid smart.. Only 1 interview. How boned am I? 35 bids and only 1 interview.. This wasnt worth transfering for. Previous legal experience, law review at previous school, moot court, etc. Wtf?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer that was top 10% at previous TT school. Bid smart.. Only 1 interview. How boned am I? 35 bids and only 1 interview.. This wasnt worth transfering for. Previous legal experience, law review at previous school, moot court, etc. Wtf?
I am honestly shocked by this. I'm transfer that was top 15-20% at TT, no LR no Journal, NO Moot court, no previous legal experience. 7 interviews. However, I am an URM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer that was top 10% at previous TT school. Bid smart.. Only 1 interview. How boned am I? 35 bids and only 1 interview.. This wasnt worth transfering for. Previous legal experience, law review at previous school, moot court, etc. Wtf?
Sorry to hear that. Did you get picked for a few alternates? Maybe you can pick those up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Did you get picked for a few alternates? Maybe you can pick those up.
I hope. I am so upset. I am seriously considering dropping out now. How can this legit be happening? Ive been mass mailing too and nothing either!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I hope. I am so upset. I am seriously considering dropping out now. How can this legit be happening? Ive been mass mailing too and nothing either!
I'm not sure, but I do think that with our program being entirely pre-select it leads to the top of the class getting selected for a bunch of firms, and then leaves the rest with not so many. The good news is that means they will be releasing some firms because they can only have 20 interviews!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:30 pm

GW OCI is pretty feast or famine. But hopefully a good amount of the alternates will convert. Also, have heard from a few friends that those who bid on NY and/or Philly regional faired pretty well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:08 am

Transfer student here. I got 7 screeners and one alternate. I am disappointed, but I still think it is better than I would have done at my old school. I just have to keep up with mass mailing and hope I kill those screeners.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:40 am

V50 interviewer here.

I wish I had better news for you. The fact is, from the firm's perspective, we really don't care that you transferred to GW. Your GPA is the most important determinant of whether we give you an interview, and in the firm's mind, your GPA is weighted by the school you obtained it from, not the school to which you transferred. It would be different if you transferred to a school where the mere fact that you got admitted guarantees your quality (T14, I guess, although I don't personally buy into this concept). It would also be different if you were among the top 5 students in your class at a TT, which would be genuinely impressive no matter the school. Getting admitted to GW doesn't mean much at all--just look at the ~75% of each class year that does not get hired by biglaw. Top 10% at your TT probably also isn't enough to move the needle.

As far as "how boned" you are, I'd say pretty boned, but that was true before you transferred to GW. Just keep hustling, nail your interview, and cross your fingers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
V50 interviewer here.

I wish I had better news for you. The fact is, from the firm's perspective, we really don't care that you transferred to GW. Your GPA is the most important determinant of whether we give you an interview, and in the firm's mind, your GPA is weighted by the school you obtained it from, not the school to which you transferred. It would be different if you transferred to a school where the mere fact that you got admitted guarantees your quality (T14, I guess, although I don't personally buy into this concept). It would also be different if you were among the top 5 students in your class at a TT, which would be genuinely impressive no matter the school. Getting admitted to GW doesn't mean much at all--just look at the ~75% of each class year that does not get hired by biglaw. Top 10% at your TT probably also isn't enough to move the needle.

As far as "how boned" you are, I'd say pretty boned, but that was true before you transferred to GW. Just keep hustling, nail your interview, and cross your fingers.
Not the anon you are responding to, but I am also a transfer student. How would you recommend we approach a question such as "why did you transfer to GW" during OCI? I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
V50 interviewer here.

Anon that is boned here. What is unfortunate is that I was a top 10 student at my previous school. I wasn't on scholarship so I decided to move to GW to have better access to oci, stronger alumni, etc. I was convinced by career services at GW explaining how someone like me who was a top 10 student elsewhere would have all these great opportunities at GW and oci would go fantastic, etc. I guess it just isn't true. Now instead of taking the scholarship from my old school to stay, I am in the same debt with even worse career outlooks. This f*^&ing sucks.

Edit: Also previous school's GPA was above a 3.75. Just for reference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not the anon you are responding to, but I am also a transfer student. How would you recommend we approach a question such as "why did you transfer to GW" during OCI? I appreciate any feedback you can provide.
V50 interviewer here.

That's a really tough question, because different interviewers will see this differently. If you were interviewing with me (and yes, I would almost certainly ask you this question), I would want you to be honest, i.e., "although I did extremely well at my old school and felt that I was receiving a strong education, I did not have access to the career opportunities that I wanted, and transferring to GW enabled me to attend OCI and apply for wonderful, amazing law firms like yours" (you get the idea). If that was your answer for me, I'd give you major credit for understanding how the legal market works and being upfront about your intentions. I am a big fan of honesty in interviews--a big part of my job as an interviewer is to see if people at my firm would want to work with you, and if you're a douchebag gunner or a bullshit artist, I'm less likely to pass you on for a callback.

That said, I could see some of the partners I work for thinking that answer is too arrogant, self-serving, etc. Generally speaking, the older the are, the more they love the gunner personality (in my experience). If you're interviewing with someone further removed from law school, you might want a more cheesy answer about the advantages that GW offers over your old school. Come up with something reasonably intelligent, especially if it relates to your practice area of interest. Just be careful: if you gave me some cute line about how much you love being a law student in Washington D.C. or how great GW's IP program is, I would not be impressed by your clearly bullshit story (though I would understand why you felt the need to go that route).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”