How to Explain Lack of Law Review Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bloodorangedeer

New

How to Explain Lack of Law Review

Post by bloodorangedeer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:58 pm

There is a chance I will grade on to law review (3.9.) However, if I find myself right outside of the top 8 or 9 people my law review selects purely out of grades, I think there's a realistic chance my essay was so bad I won't get on (had a travel wedding I had already committed to well before I even knew what a write-on was; only got two days to work on it). While most folks at my school can get BigLaw jobs in NYC w/o LR, the ultra selective top firms (W&C DC) seem to only recruit LR members. In case I don't get LR, how should I field a potential interviewer question re: my lack of LR? Is there anything I should be doing in the summer to mitigate? We don't hear back until mid-late July, so I'm worried my bid list might be too optimistic in case I don't get it...

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:08 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

bloodorangedeer

New

Re: How to Explain Lack of Law Review

Post by bloodorangedeer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Looking through the profiles of alumni at W&C seems to indicate its a de facto qualification for getting hired from school. I have no doubt that maybe the tip top T14s may not need it, but, in my context, I'm just assuming I'm not going to be the exception to the (informal, perhaps) rule.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:18 pm

I just graded a bunch of write-on samples. Beyond weeding out the ESLers, I don't know how rigorous the whole write-on process is at evaluating you as a writer. I would guess most interviewers with a similar experience would understand that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just graded a bunch of write-on samples. Beyond weeding out the ESLers, I don't know how rigorous the whole write-on process is at evaluating you as a writer. I would guess most interviewers with a similar experience would understand that.
Same here. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies in the grading process, and there were probably things in submissions that unreasonably pissed me off and caused them to get a lower grade than they might have deserved. After having graded write-ons, if I am ever an interviewer I will never ding someone for not being on law review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:30 pm

You can't spend prestige and you can't take it with you. 190k is 190k.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm

pancakes3 wrote:You can't spend prestige and you can't take it with you. 190k is 190k.
NYC to 190?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just graded a bunch of write-on samples. Beyond weeding out the ESLers, I don't know how rigorous the whole write-on process is at evaluating you as a writer. I would guess most interviewers with a similar experience would understand that.
Same here. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies in the grading process, and there were probably things in submissions that unreasonably pissed me off and caused them to get a lower grade than they might have deserved. After having graded write-ons, if I am ever an interviewer I will never ding someone for not being on law review.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”