securities trading in biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

securities trading in biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:47 pm

So obviously we can't buy/sell equities and options.

We can buy ETFs.

What about ETNs? Are those fair game? FWIW my firm is silent as to ETNs but wanted to see if any one else had firms that state rules relating to ETNs

Anonymous User

Re: securities trading in biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:07 pm

Secondly - does anyone's firms have any strict guidelines about pattern day trading? I've been a PDT for 6 months or so now and while I don't see any rules against it I wonder if anyone has had any relevant experience. I assume it's fine if you're only trading ETFs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Never worked in a law firm, but surprising that they're so strict since when I worked in a dealing room we could even buy stocks as long as they were approved and we held on at least 30 days.

Your firm's guidelines should be clear if there's any regulations against frequent trading. If there's nothing about ETNs, you'd probably be good to go, especially if ETFs are permitted. The point of allowing ETFs, but not stocks/bonds, is that you're unlikely to come across privileged information at work that would allow you some big insight into what, for example, the price of oil will do, but you could become privy to material non-public information about a company with publicly-traded equity/debt...this isn't really a concern with ETNs either. If you have any questions, why don't you just ask compliance?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So obviously we can't buy/sell equities and options.

We can buy ETFs.

What about ETNs? Are those fair game? FWIW my firm is silent as to ETNs but wanted to see if any one else had firms that state rules relating to ETNs
Do you have a person/department you would go to for pre-approval if you wanted to buy or sell individual shares? If so, I'd just ask that person, surely they will know.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Some firms have holding period requirements for allowed securities so short term trading is not allowed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:34 pm

It's all firm specific. Some firms have a list of companies you just can't trade in, some have holding requirements, some have no trading periods, and the list goes on. Probably a decent interview question to ask.

And if ETFs are allowed then I don't know why you couldn't trade options on the ETFs. All these rules are there to keep you from getting smashed for insider trading.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:39 pm

index funds

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So obviously we can't buy/sell equities and options.

We can buy ETFs.

Oh, and ETNs should not be an issue. I mean they're just securitized debt instruments. I'm not entirely certain how there would be any information issues given that they are set to track an index.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:42 pm

also, don't most ETNs have horrible expense ratios (at or near 1%)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:also, don't most ETNs have horrible expense ratios (at or near 1%)?
Yeah, but how else am I going to get inverse exposure to the 10 year T-Bill yield?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:06 pm

UVAIce wrote:It's all firm specific. Some firms have a list of companies you just can't trade in, some have holding requirements, some have no trading periods, and the list goes on. Probably a decent interview question to ask.

And if ETFs are allowed then I don't know why you couldn't trade options on the ETFs. All these rules are there to keep you from getting smashed for insider trading.
My firm has a rule against all derivatives.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:58 pm

UVAIce wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:also, don't most ETNs have horrible expense ratios (at or near 1%)?
Yeah, but how else am I going to get inverse exposure to the 10 year T-Bill yield?
IDK, man. My time is too valuable at this point for me to put in the time necessary to plan investment strategies that can beat my strategy of buying and holding shares of index funds.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
UVAIce wrote:
IDK, man. My time is too valuable at this point for me to put in the time necessary to plan investment strategies that can beat my strategy of buying and holding shares of index funds.
Even if you did you would probably still be better off in an index fund. There are so many ETFs out there that you can create an interesting risk profile if you wan to. In the end you're probably still better off in the most unexciting index funds.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks for responses - OP here.

To follow up on why I don't want to reach out, our "compliance" for securities is a couple of partners and a few of which I work closely with (so don't want to be like uhhh I make over 50 trades a day, etc.)

As to why I don't do ETFs or more vanilla ETFs for that matter, I've been a pattern day trader for a while and while it's mostly for fun I make a nice side income as well.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As to why I don't do ETFs or more vanilla ETFs for that matter, I've been a pattern day trader for a while and while it's mostly for fun I make a nice side income as well.
LOL. If this is really true, you should quit whatever other jobs/hobbies you have and start a hedge fund.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As to why I don't do ETFs or more vanilla ETFs for that matter, I've been a pattern day trader for a while and while it's mostly for fun I make a nice side income as well.
LOL. If this is really true, you should quit whatever other jobs/hobbies you have and start a hedge fund.
Nah breh you don't understand how day trading works. Just cause you make some paper for a few years doesn't mean it's stable. Just on the side - I wouldn't want to do this long term simply because you never know when your reads go bad or hit a downturn. Some months I'll put dozens of hours into it and lose 5-10k. Gotta have a stable income too little breh

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”