Bankruptcy Clerkships Unpaid? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bankruptcy Clerkships Unpaid?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm looking at a bankruptcy clerkship on OSCAR and it says:
This is a one-year, full-time position, with the possibility of some compensation if the court's temporary law clerk positions are renewed.
Nowhere else does it say anything about compensation.

What? I thought bankruptcy clerkships were paid positions. The position is listed as "Term Law Clerk-Chambers."

Anonymous User

Re: Bankruptcy Clerkships Unpaid?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:38 am

Sounds like the person who takes this position would be an extra clerk. Bankruptcy law clerks are paid at the same rate other federal clerks, but some districts have been adding "floater" clerks. It also could be a judge with a really busy docket who wants to add an unpaid clerk in addition to his or her paid clerks. It is not unique to bankruptcy--I know of a few unpaid district and COA clerks (most receive a stipend from their law school).

Anonymous User

Re: Bankruptcy Clerkships Unpaid?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:51 am

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”