Mass-Mailing Smaller Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bdm261

Bronze

Mass-Mailing Smaller Firms?

Post by bdm261 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:39 pm

I currently have nothing lined up for summer and since I'm a TTT student, I figure I'll be lucky to get a job in a 1-3 attorney, general practice firm. I'm in the top 20% of my class at a nameless third-tier in the midwest for what it's worth, regularly make Dean's list, moot court and vice-president of a student organization.

I searched a number of local firms practicing P.I., family law, and bankruptcy and sent about 10 mass-mailings out w/ my resume, cover letter, and transcript. Is it worth it or am I just spamming firms and shutting the door in the event they one day do post job openings?

Most of these firms will probably eventually post something on Symplicity so will getting my stuff in earlier before than give me any advantage?

Jay2716

Bronze

Re: Mass-Mailing Smaller Firms?

Post by Jay2716 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:55 am

What gets you an advantage is having someone at the firm that knows and likes you. You need to be networking. Set up lunches and coffees with attorneys from these firms. Mass mailing won't hurt you, and I'm sure some people get jobs at small firms that way, but every person I know with a job like that lined up networked into it.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Re: Mass-Mailing Smaller Firms?

Post by lawschoolftw » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:09 pm

Jay2716 wrote:What gets you an advantage is having someone at the firm that knows and likes you. You need to be networking. Set up lunches and coffees with attorneys from these firms. Mass mailing won't hurt you, and I'm sure some people get jobs at small firms that way, but every person I know with a job like that lined up networked into it.
Agreed that this is the way to go. I'll add that I mass-mailed smaller to mid-size firms and had significantly more success with mid-size. I think the problem with really small firms is that they can't just add an associate unless they really need one. Once you get up to 15 or so attorneys there's more room to add an attorney even if there isn't a pressing need. In any event, it can't hurt, and it may lead to some solid networking.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”