1L Firm Receptions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gchatbrah

Bronze

Re: 1L Firm Receptions

Post by gchatbrah » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:40 pm

moonman157 wrote:If you do go, speak with some of the younger associates. A lot of people will try to schmooze with old partners, and there's no way they'll remember/care about you. But if you can create a connection with an associate, it's helpful for EIP, because you can get the inside scoop on the people interviewing you, and you can cite a specific person when talking about all this information you have heard about this firm that makes it the best firm ever. Plus you're way more likely to get a better sense of what it's actually like to work there.
they're also the ones who tend to be the most stoked to be out of the office and helping with recruiting, so they're usually the easiest ones to talk to as well.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:41 pm

gchatbrah wrote:
ymmv wrote:
gchatbrah wrote:
ymmv wrote:
This is pretty much the only reason to go, but it's enough. As exhausting as the damn things can be, it'll feel worth it when it comes OCI time and you don't have to struggle quite as hard to bullshit a reason Why Firm X for the 30th time in a week.
do most people actually find these exhausting? you talk to like 3-5 people over the course of two hours. you have a bunch of drinks. the end.
You're talking to some of the most miserable people on planet earth trying desperately to pretend they're fucking ecstatic about their lives, all while attempting to convey just how equally fucking ecstatic you are to hear more about their fake fucking ecstasy.

And then you know you have to do it again, like, thirty times.
how're you so unhappy already?
Oh I'm generally pretty damn happy when I'm not at law firm networking events.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:59 pm

If you clicked really well with a partner at one of these events, is it okay to email them? I had one ask me to "keep in touch" but didn't give me a card. I don't want to seem stalker-like if I send an email with "we met at the reception, remember me!" context.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:03 pm

It's fine to contact a partner you met at the event, but if they don't respond, don't be a stalker and keep emailing them. (Probably okay to follow up once a week later--partners do forget to respond sometimes.)

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you clicked really well with a partner at one of these events, is it okay to email them? I had one ask me to "keep in touch" but didn't give me a card. I don't want to seem stalker-like if I send an email with "we met at the reception, remember me!" context.
Saying "keep in touch" is the modern way of saying find me on the website. I mean, they don't make firm profiles with their pictures and email addresses for nothing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:46 pm

1L at C/N.

Had a conflict and missed the 1L reception of a firm I'm really interested in. Didn't know this could potentially harm me for EIP/OCI.

Should I email the recruiter listed on the RSVP and let them know I couldn't make it but that I"m still very much interested in the firm? Don't want to get dinged next year over this...

Thanks.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at C/N.

Had a conflict and missed the 1L reception of a firm I'm really interested in. Didn't know this could potentially harm me for EIP/OCI.

Should I email the recruiter listed on the RSVP and let them know I couldn't make it but that I"m still very much interested in the firm? Don't want to get dinged next year over this...

Thanks.
This really depends on the firm and market its in. I mean, if the reception was for a small/mid/insular market, then I'd definitely contact them to try to speak with an attorney or something.

On the other hand, if the firm is Davis Polk NY or something like that, nobody cares and they'll probably have a pre-EIP/OCI reception anyways. just focus on your grades.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at C/N.

Thanks.
No one cares

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:11 pm

im goin for the booze/food. what should i wear?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:im goin for the booze/food. what should i wear?
Suit if no dress code was specified (e.g., casual).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”