WIlson Sonsini vs. Venable Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

WIlson Sonsini vs. Venable

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:51 pm

I have to make a decision pretty quickly between these two firms. In general I'm looking for somewhere with a decent culture, a high offer rate (I know that Venable offered 100% in all offices last year), and at least some what of a lifestyle firm (though I completely understood what I'm getting into with biglaw).

Thoughts? The Venable office is a satellite, and the Wilson office would be slightly larger.

Anonymous User

Re: WIlson Sonsini vs. Venable

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:09 pm

what kind of work do you want to do and where are the offices located?

i'd go wilson sonsini if its bay area. probably wilson generally

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what kind of work do you want to do and where are the offices located?

East Coast, actually. I would be working on antitrust at Wilson, but probably GovCon at Venable (which I have slightly more interest in).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what kind of work do you want to do and where are the offices located?

East Coast, actually. I would be working on antitrust at Wilson, but probably GovCon at Venable (which I have slightly more interest in).
So WS DC and Venable Tysons?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So WS DC and Venable Tysons?
You got it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:19 pm

I would go to venable - living & working in tysons is going to be a lot less expensive than the district, and you want to do the work more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would go to venable - living & working in tysons is going to be a lot less expensive than the district, and you want to do the work more.
That's what I'm leaning towards as well. Sometimes biting the bullet and making the decision is harder than expected.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would go to venable - living & working in tysons is going to be a lot less expensive than the district, and you want to do the work more.
That's what I'm leaning towards as well. Sometimes biting the bullet and making the decision is harder than expected.
Aren't Tyson's offices generally backwaters? All the interesting work is going to be in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:24 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Aren't Tyson's offices generally backwaters? All the interesting work is going to be in DC.
Government contracting is all in NoVa, so I bet that practice is the exception.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Government contracting is all in NoVa, so I bet that practice is the exception.
Credited. I've heard this several times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:25 am

I work at one of these firms. Do what you are interested in, because there is a huge difference between antitrust and govcon. That difference should eclipse any firm vs. firm differences you are considering because, no matter where you live or work, if you don't like antitrust you will not like WSGR antitrust (and same with govcon at Venable).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:20 pm

Many thanks to all! I've accepted at Venable for the summer, and I'm quite pleased with my decision. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”