Mayer Brown (Chi) v. McDermott (Chi) v. DPW (NYC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mayer Brown (Chi) v. McDermott (Chi) v. DPW (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Leaning corporate. Not married to any subgroup. Hoping to learn more about M&A, caps markets, banking/finance, fund formation, PE. Planned on picking a group based on who i liked working with over the summer and how much i enjoyed or hated the assignments.

Really..really don't wanna go to NYC for a few reasons (e.g. COL, don't like it generally, SO would have serious difficulty finding employment there). Would prefer to stay in Chicago. K&E is supposed to get back to me at the end of the week.

Assuming i don't get K&E, am i completely delusional for turning down DPW? If not, are there concrete reasons that distinguish Mayer Brown and McDermott from one another? Or should I just pick based on fit? Already had follow-up lunches with both of them. I like McDermott slightly better just based on who i've met but I get the sense that Mayer Brown is stronger in Chicago (mostly just from looking at Chambers bands)

ETA: McDermott's payscale is a little different. They only have three associate pay levels (160, 175, 200) so essentially there's a ceiling at 200k until you make nonequity partner if you don't leave before then.

ETA again: Got Kirkland offer.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Mayer Brown (Chi) v. McDermott (Chi) v. DPW (NYC)

Post by sublime » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 pm

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Post by 911 crisis actor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 pm

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1139 ... oney-dries

Article is really overselling its main point but it gives you some insight into the trouble Mayer Brown has faced recently

Dunno if things have stabilized or changed, also not sure how much the author has exaggerated

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:43 pm

I could easily turn down DPW for Mayer Brown Chicago. Better pay (better bonuses), better COL, same great experience, less hours.

I'd go Mayer Brown here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 pm

If access to quality work at one of Chicago's biggest firms is your highest priorities, I'd go with Mayer. If you feel more strongly about getting top tier work and care less about your location or hours, go to DPW. If you want to base the decision entirely on fit, go to McDermott.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:47 pm

911 crisis actor wrote:http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1139 ... oney-dries

Article is really overselling its main point but it gives you some insight into the trouble Mayer Brown has faced recently

Dunno if things have stabilized or changed, also not sure how much the author has exaggerated
One of the running threads of that article is the idea that it's discussing how bad things are at a relatively stable big firm -- an "if it happens here, imagine how bad it is at X." MB's PPP are way up and there's no reason to suspect anything financially foreboding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
911 crisis actor wrote:http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1139 ... oney-dries

One of the running threads of that article is the idea that it's discussing how bad things are at a relatively stable big firm -- an "if it happens here, imagine how bad it is at X." MB's PPP are way up and there's no reason to suspect anything financially foreboding.
What an odd mix of firms and cities - considering you want corporate. DPW - but no Sidley/Kirkland in CHI? MB - stuffy and better known for lit; McDermott - frattier and hires SA's obnoxiously into practice groups.

I also hate NY, but the answer has to be DPW. Better firm; better for corporate. Just on exit options alone DPW.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:23 pm

OP wrote:Really..really don't wanna go to NYC . . . [w]ould prefer to stay in Chicago
I wouldn't disregard geographic comfort for a few prestige points or sliiiightly more top-tier work. This is doubly so if you have quantifiable geographic reasons to not go to NYC like you do (i.e., more than merely "I don't like the rent prices and the C.H.U.D.s"). Mayer Brown is plenty prestigious anyway. No one is going to turn their nose up at that, nor doubt the quality of work that'll be on your desk.

In regards to the two Chicago firms, I thought McDermott pigeonholed you into a practice group, even as an SA? Given what you hope to get out of your SA, that doesn't seem ideal. My vote goes to Mayer Brown.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:48 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
OP wrote:Really..really don't wanna go to NYC . . . [w]ould prefer to stay in Chicago
I wouldn't disregard geographic comfort for a few prestige points or sliiiightly more top-tier work. This is doubly so if you have quantifiable geographic reasons to not go to NYC like you do (i.e., more than merely "I don't like the rent prices and the C.H.U.D.s"). Mayer Brown is plenty prestigious anyway. No one is going to turn their nose up at that, nor doubt the quality of work that'll be on your desk.

In regards to the two Chicago firms, I thought McDermott pigeonholed you into a practice group, even as an SA? Given what you hope to get out of your SA, that doesn't seem ideal. My vote goes to Mayer Brown.
This sounds right to me too, although I don't know much about McDermott.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:07 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
I just want to point out banana's exquisite grammar: spaced ellipses inside the quote and bracketing the lowercase... Well done, sir.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:10 pm

This depends uncomfortably heavily on your geographic preferences. Yes, there's a degree of hatred for NY/love of Chicago that could tip the objective scales towards Mayer. Point for point transactional practices, Davis Polk hands down. It would improve professional development, geographic flexibility and options upon leaving the firm several years down the road (or compensation as a partner). But it's totally reasonable to take Mayer if you and your SO want to live in Chicago. People make these kinds of relationship/personal-driven decisions all the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Since this is for SA, I'd take DPW if you don't get Kirkland, then try your luck 3LOCI back into Chi-town... Seems like win/win? Can easily spin it... Didn't like NY as much as I thought and would rather be in Chicago... Having DPW on the résumé will help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Since this is for SA, I'd take DPW if you don't get Kirkland, then try your luck 3LOCI back into Chi-town... Seems like win/win? Can easily spin it... Didn't like NY as much as I thought and would rather be in Chicago... Having DPW on the résumé will help.
OP here, yeah i've thought of that as well...but Sidley dinged me this cycle and if i get dinged by Kirkland, then will they seriously reconsider me during 3L OCI? I also don't know very much about 3L OCI at UChicago and whether Sidley/Kirkland consistently come back looking for 3L's

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Since this is for SA, I'd take DPW if you don't get Kirkland, then try your luck 3LOCI back into Chi-town... Seems like win/win? Can easily spin it... Didn't like NY as much as I thought and would rather be in Chicago... Having DPW on the résumé will help.
OP here, yeah i've thought of that as well...but Sidley dinged me this cycle and if i get dinged by Kirkland, then will they seriously reconsider me during 3L OCI? I also don't know very much about 3L OCI at UChicago and whether Sidley/Kirkland consistently come back looking for 3L's
You will be fine... It's a different situation for 3L... Probably just send recruiting a résumé or apply online. Kirkland has mucho shit on their website right now and the attrition is high enough that one could expect to see more postings... But YNK. Its all a gamble... Otherwise stay in Chicago and try to trade up and if you don't get it at least you are in the city you want.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Above poster was correct in saying it depends on your geographic flexibility. DPW is one of the 4-5 best firms for transactional work in the country, no question about it. But if you really want to be in Chicago then it's not at all crazy to turn DPW down. At some point you have to start living your life the way you want rather than trying to set it up for the future.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:51 pm

Go to Mayer. Life is too short. Three months into your career at DPW you'd be wondering what the fuck you moved to New York for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:18 am

Sorry but wondering..
OP, how long was your McDermott callback -> offer timeline?

I would cross DPW off the list since it seems like NY isn't your thing. IMO, don't be anywhere where you won't be happy.
Other than that, I don't know what it is, but there's not a lot of information on McDermott here. From what I understand though, they do a lot of middle-market corporate work. I think you're in a better position to answer this question than others are because people don't seem to have a lot of info on MWE... for some reason
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry but wondering..
OP, how long was your McDermott callback -> offer timeline?

I would cross DPW off the list since it seems like NY isn't your thing. IMO, don't be anywhere where you won't be happy.
Other than that, I don't know what it is, but there's not a lot of information on McDermott here. From what I understand though, they do a lot of middle-market corporate work. I think you're in a better position to answer this question than others are because people don't seem to have a lot of info on TLS on MWE... for some reason
OP here. CB was on the 9th, and offer by phone on the 12th! interviewed for the corporate advisory group. As far as being pigeonholed, yes they hire by practice group but i still would get to try different subgroups under the corporate umbrella. It's not the case that i'm being hired specifically by the M&A group or something

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 am

Why the hell would you even consider NYC when you have offers at decent firms in a city you much prefer? Fuck prestige whoring. Stay in Chicago if that is where you want to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:50 am

OP: just curious, how did you feel about the corp people you met at McD? I had my CB with them and felt like everybody I met hated life. I got an offer from them eventually, but wow were MB people cooler. Maybe just got them on a weird day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP: just curious, how did you feel about the corp people you met at McD? I had my CB with them and felt like everybody I met hated life. I got an offer from them eventually, but wow were MB people cooler. Maybe just got them on a weird day.
OP here. I just felt like the MB people i've met so far were very vanilla...not necessarily bad to be around but just kind of bland i guess. One of my MB partners seemed like he was falling asleep during the conversation, maybe just tired? Also had an MB nonequity partner who was a little too honest about areas the firm could improve, came off as kind of disenchanted with the place. The McD people so far have been much more enthusiastic about things, but they were also much younger and recent lateral hires from other firms.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP: just curious, how did you feel about the corp people you met at McD? I had my CB with them and felt like everybody I met hated life. I got an offer from them eventually, but wow were MB people cooler. Maybe just got them on a weird day.
OP here. I just felt like the MB people i've met so far were very vanilla...not necessarily bad to be around but just kind of bland i guess. One of my MB partners seemed like he was falling asleep during the conversation, maybe just tired? Also had an MB nonequity partner who was a little too honest about areas the firm could improve, came off as kind of disenchanted with the place. The McD people so far have been much more enthusiastic about things, but they were also much younger and recent lateral hires from other firms.
That's funny how much my experience was 100% the opposite. I didn't end up accepting either one, though I would have 100% accepted MB if it wasn't another firm I decided to take over it. You could also go back! That was highly encouraged and they are really welcoming of that.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:18 am

MB is a great firm and from what I hear, and with your preference, I don't think you'll go wrong with MB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:02 am

Emma. wrote:Why the hell would you even consider NYC when you have offers at decent firms in a city you much prefer? Fuck prestige whoring. Stay in Chicago if that is where you want to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:44 pm

OP Here. Got Kirkland. Thanks for the insight everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”