Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Firm to Choose for Corporate/Corp Finance

Chapman and Cutler
9
38%
Reed Smith
11
46%
McGuireWoods
4
17%
 
Total votes: 24

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Hey everyone, I am trying to decide between Reed Smith, Chapman and Cutler, and mcguirewoods for my 2L SA position in Chicago. I am interested in doing corporate or corporate finance oriented transactional work. I can't decide between them, and was hoping to get people's insight into the firm, the work, and overall reputations of the firms. Also exit opps to larger firms and anything else that would be helping in making the decision. Thank you in advance for any help!

Also, Reed Smith doesn't pay market, but I've heard that their bonus structure kind of makes up for it. Anyone know anything about this?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:35 pm

mcguirewoods doesn't pay market either and no offered 2 SA's in their Chicago office this past summer. They really don't seem to be in good financial shape either tbh.

Chapman and Cutler is probably better specifically for corporate finance, but I've heard terrible things about the work environment from a couple of former associates.

Haven't heard anything bad about Reed Smith, and I was actually pretty impressed with them in my interview, I'd recommend them, but your gut feeling is probably going to be most important here since they're pretty comparable firms/offices

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:McGuireWoods doesn't pay market either and no offered 2 SA's in their Chicago office this past summer. They really don't seem to be in good financial shape either tbh.

Chapman and Cutler is probably better specifically for corporate finance, but I've heard terrible things about the work environment from a couple of former associates.

Haven't heard anything bad about Reed Smith, and I was actually pretty impressed with them in my interview, I'd recommend them, but your gut feeling is probably going to be most important here since they're pretty comparable firms/offices
Can you expand on mcguirewoods being in bad shape in Chicago and about bad experiences at Chapman. Everyone I spoke with about Chapman/at Chapman seemed to really emphasize the firm culture and the people and comparing their work to the same as a lot of large firms (which I read as good exit option possibility)

I am leaning towards Reed Smith as well, but paying 15 below market/Chapman has me debating between the two. Thank for you input btw!

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:McGuireWoods doesn't pay market either and no offered 2 SA's in their Chicago office this past summer. They really don't seem to be in good financial shape either tbh.

Chapman and Cutler is probably better specifically for corporate finance, but I've heard terrible things about the work environment from a couple of former associates.

Haven't heard anything bad about Reed Smith, and I was actually pretty impressed with them in my interview, I'd recommend them, but your gut feeling is probably going to be most important here since they're pretty comparable firms/offices
Can you expand on McGuireWoods being in bad shape in Chicago and about bad experiences at Chapman. Everyone I spoke with about Chapman/at Chapman seemed to really emphasize the firm culture and the people and comparing their work to the same as a lot of large firms (which I read as good exit option possibility)

I am leaning towards Reed Smith as well, but paying 15 below market/Chapman has me debating between the two. Thank for you input btw!

Without getting into specfics that would out me:

mcguirewoods: Have been told directly by a partner that their workflow outside of the Healthcare practice is "not great" and that there are issues within the firm caused by the fact that the Chicago office really reports to the firm's main office (in Richmond), and that there isn't smooth interaction. This is largely probably due to the fact that MW didn't grow organically into the Chicago market, but bought a Chicago firm already there. If you're really interested in Healthcare I'd still recommend MW, but I'd have concerns working there otherwise, esp since you have other options.

Chapman: I know (not through any interviewing process but personally) 2 associates who started at Chapman and left for other Chicago firms within 3 years. Overall, they found it to be a pretty cutthroat place, and are (at least from what they tell me) much happier at their new firms. Again, I've also been told Corp Finance is Chapman's "thing", so there is that to consider though.

You obviously need to just decide what firm you think is a better fit, but just thought I'd let you know what I know. Fwiw a $15K starting difference ($10K from MW) wouldn't be determinative for me given $145K is not bad at all in Chicago. If you're really going to factor money into the decision though, I'd try to find out what their bonus structure is like

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it. Good to know about mcguirewoods, they were my third anyways and this essentially confirms that.

15K/10K isn't a huge deal for me either, I had just heard that that Reed Smith had a better bonus structure so thought I'd ask the TLS-sphere.

Thank you again!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:23 pm

I have also heard from a few laterals that Chapman was not a place they enjoyed working at

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Chapman and Cutler is better for corporate and corporate finance and I've head from several people it
s pretty awesome to work there. That would be my pick.

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chapman and Cutler is better for corporate and corporate finance and I've head from several people it
s pretty awesome to work there. That would be my pick.
I've heard they have a strong practice in both as well. But do you get a wider variety with larger firms like Reed Smith? Also, looking at exit opps, do you have a better chance to lateral out having worked at a larger firm like Reed Smith vs. Chapman?

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Op here, also just got an offer from schiff Hardin. Any opinions/changes in prior thoughts? Sorry it's so open ended, I'm really lost about how to decide. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 pm

OP, I have good info for you. How can I reach you?

lsls

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by lsls » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, I have good info for you. How can I reach you?
This is OP. Feel free to PM me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote: Also, Reed Smith doesn't pay market, but I've heard that their bonus structure kind of makes up for it. Anyone know anything about this?
Interested in this as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!



HotDogChow

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by HotDogChow » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:54 pm

-
Last edited by HotDogChow on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 410659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reed Smith or Chapman and Cutler or McGuireWoods (all Chi)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 pm

HotDogChow wrote:Interested in bonus structure?
As in you are interested in it too or are you asking if I am interested and should contact you if I am?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”