Need advice ASAP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need advice ASAP

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Last year as a 2L I did an OCI interview with a govt organization that has a summer program and hires lots of new grads. I got a call back and eventually made it to the last round, but ultimately was not extended a summer offer. I had been in touch with the main man once or twice throughout the year and he encouraged me to reapply as a 3L for their new grad program. I submitted my resume through OCI and wasn't given an initial interview. I was shocked. My resume had substantially improved in this field since 2L and my class rank was still just as high (top 15%).

I want to apply through the online application process one more time, just in case something happened and my OCI app was overlooked. In my cover letter, should I note that i was dinged from OCI but am still very interested, or just ignore the whole OCI situation?

Would like some opinions ASAP. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Need advice ASAP

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 pm

Why wouldn't you just email your application to that guy directly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why wouldn't you just email your application to that guy directly?
Yeah probably a better idea. But again, if I do that, do I address the OCI situation. How?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why wouldn't you just email your application to that guy directly?
Yeah probably a better idea. But again, if I do that, do I address the OCI situation. How?

Anyone have an idea??

sumner

Bronze

Post by sumner » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:41 pm

I wouldn't mention it. I don't really see how that could help your chances. Just give them a fresh look at your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 pm

sumner wrote:I wouldn't mention it. I don't really see how that could help your chances. Just give them a fresh look at your resume.
OP here.. This definitely makes sense to me. I'm just not sure how to work this advice in with emailing the man directly. It is clear from their website that you should apply via the online app... so if I just send it to him without following the directions, would that seem weird?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 pm

Is it a field office you are applying to? Depends if the process is decentralized or not. Is this a Fed Agency because most are done in DC.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 pm

I also would not mention it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it a field office you are applying to? Depends if the process is decentralized or not. Is this a Fed Agency because most are done in DC.
Not a fed agency and not a field office. The guy is the main guy in charge of all hiring for the org.

So I'm thinking I just should email him directly and either

1) Mention that he told me to apply to the new grad program and here is my application materials

OR

2) Say I didn't receive an OCI interview, am still very interested and think i'm qualified and wanted to reach out to him directly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:45 am

I'm sort of shocked that anyone could possibly be confused about how to proceed here.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sumner wrote:I wouldn't mention it. I don't really see how that could help your chances. Just give them a fresh look at your resume.
OP here.. This definitely makes sense to me. I'm just not sure how to work this advice in with emailing the man directly. It is clear from their website that you should apply via the online app... so if I just send it to him without following the directions, would that seem weird?
Who cares? You've already been rejected. What do you have to lose?
reasonable_man wrote:I'm sort of shocked that anyone could possibly be confused about how to proceed here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”