Callback Shuffle Issue... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Shuffle Issue...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:00 pm

So I just heard back from two recruiters at different firms in different cities with a callback confirmation. I gave them a non-overlapping range of availability and it worked out, unfortunately, that they scheduled them for back to back days (Wednesday in City 1, then Thursday in City 2).

I don't have too much flying experience. Should I reschedule one of them? Or is this doable?

What I'm thinking is:

Fly to City #2 for Thursday CB on Tuesday morning. Fly from City #2 to City #1 on Tuesday evening for Wednesday CB. Fly back to City #2 on Wednesday evening for Thursday CB. Fly back to school city on Thursday evening. So:

Law School -----> City #2
City #2 -----> City #1
City #1 CB.
City #1 -----> City #2
City #2 CB.
City #2 -----> Law School

Alternatively,

Law School -----> City #1
City #1 CB.
City #1 -----> Law School
(Same Day) Law School -----> City #2
City #2 CB.
City #2 -----> Law School.

Or, I could have City #1 fly me to City #2 and have them split the one-way ticket in between? But then I'd be afraid that that'd out me as not totally 100% dedicated to either city.

Really not sure what to do here.

subtle

Silver

Re: Callback Shuffle Issue...

Post by subtle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:04 pm

This is confusing. It would be easier to give you advice with city names. Also, many firms won't want to pay for you to fly anywhere except their city and your city. So they might object to flying you from one city to the city of another firm. I think your best bet is just to speak with recruiting and explain what happened and see if they're willing. If not, call firm #2 and reschedule.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:06 pm

This is so ridiculous without the city names. You're anonymous.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Set up a one-way ticket form law school to city 1. Tell city 2 that you won't be flying from law school, but rather city 1, and from city 2 to law school.

Easy peasy.

Edit: As far as "commitment to one city", it shouldn't be much of a problem unless you've lied to one firm and told them you're only targeting their city. Shit, the attorneys making the decision will probably have no idea unless they ask that you're at a CB in another city, and I don't really see a reason to tell them. If either market is insular, you're going to have to convince them you want to be their, but that's going to be a struggle no matter what, and this probably won't really set you back.
Last edited by First Offense on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:08 pm

The alternative seems to make more sense, but it's very convoluted.

Also, i agree with the "easy peasy" guy

mredav44 (anon on accident)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Cities are Charlotte, NC, and Jacksonville, FL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”