Resume Question: Urgent Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume Question: Urgent

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:05 am

Need to submit my resume today and have a quick question.

I go to law school in NY, but want to work in LA afterward.

I lived with my sister in LA for 1.5 years before moving to NY for law school. She still lives in the apartment we shared.

On my OCI resume can I put...

Current address: NY address
Permanent address: My sister and I's LA address?

I'm originally from TX and don't want to be misleading, but also want to maximize chances with firms out west. Thanks!

KD35

Silver

Re: Resume Question: Urgent

Post by KD35 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Need to submit my resume today and have a quick question.

I go to law school in NY, but want to work in LA afterward.

I lived with my sister in LA for 1.5 years before moving to NY for law school. She still lives in the apartment we shared.

On my OCI resume can I put...

Current address: NY address
Permanent address: My sister and I's LA address?

I'm originally from TX and don't want to be misleading, but also want to maximize chances with firms out west. Thanks!
I know I've gotten rejection letters to the address I've put on my resume. Is there any indication on your resume that you used to work in LA? Because that can help a lot to show the ties which is all that you really need

m079

New

Post by m079 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am

I think you absolutely should put the LA address. You can also write a short cover letter with a sentence stating you want to practice in LA due to _____ .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am

I wouldn't put two different addresses on the same resume. i do think it is fine to put your sisters address as a primary address when applying to LA firms tho. I have different resumes with the different addresses I have in different states. i.e. both parents live in different states so one for each of those. one for my address in the state my school is in and one with a mailbox address i keep in a state i used to live, solely for resume purposes.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 am

I've been doing that with a permanent as my parents' address and temporary as school address to firms near where I grew up. I don't see any problem with putting two addresses on your resume: firms know you live near school, but the permanent address says you're planning to come back. You will want to put on a mail forward with USPS for your sister's place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:54 am

UVA student here. We were told it was a good idea to have a home and school address if the home address helped tie you to an area. If you have both, the firm will send rejection letters to your school address. I haven't gotten any at my home address (suburb of Chicago) from firms that rejected me that got the two address resume. I also had a separate resume with just my school address for firms in markets other than Chicago. I also have not spent time at my parents home in Chicago since they moved there; maybe 5 months total time there over the last 6 years, and 4 of those months were this summer and last summer.

Also, FWIW - any snail mail you are getting is either a ding or the actual written offer in the mail. I told my parents to just open any mail from law firms if they came to the house and let me know what it said. If you're close with your sister - which I'm assuming you are since you lived with her - I doubt it would be hard for you to ask her to do that.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:06 am

I actually got an interview from snail mail for one firm. Exceedingly rare but you don't want to risk it. Also, it's a good idea to keep track of where you've sent resumes and who has rejected you so you can follow up later.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”