Mid-size firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mid-size firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 pm

So here's my situation: I am a rising 2L at a T30 regional school. I have top 3% grades, Law Review, and Moot Court on my resume. I know I could probably get a big law job. However, I am not sure I want to deal with the crazy work schedule. I have a wife and two dogs and would very much like to not give up my social life completely.

However, I think I would be willing to go to big law for a few years to pay off debt and make some money, and then move to a more mid-size firm where I could specialize in a more specific area of litigation.

My real question is how should I go about finding a job at a more mid-size firm out of law school if I decide I want to go straight to that sort of firm? Not many of them do OCI and they're hard to get information on.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Mid-size firms

Post by bdubs » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Market?

Most schools maintain a list of local firms. If you're looking outside of your school's region then you should ask around or see if there is a published list of firms in that area. Biglaw is probably going to be your best best to escape a regional school though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:27 pm

I got "midlaw" [75-175 attorneys - if that qualifies] right out of law school. For my firm, it was all about connections and ties to the area. They really wanted to make sure I would be in it for the long haul. I also went to a regional school [where I also have family and grew up], but was not quite as high as you [top 10%]. If you want midlaw, I would certainly look at your school's region first. Make sure to demonstrate ties to the area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 pm

bdubs wrote:Market?

Most schools maintain a list of local firms. If you're looking outside of your school's region then you should ask around or see if there is a published list of firms in that area. Biglaw is probably going to be your best best to escape a regional school though.
I am at a school that primarily feeds the Atlanta market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”