Can I crack DC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I crack DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:08 pm

What kind of class placement would I need to crack the DC V10? Chambers has good opinions on the entirety of the DC V10, but looking at the slate, W&C, WilmerHale, Skadden, and Akin all stand out since I want to do litigation and they have a number of offices should I want to move. I bid all four, but don't know my interview schedule yet.

I'm roughly median at CCN.

edit: Also, is there a gap between W&C and the rest appreciable enough to have a substantial effect on exit opportunities?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Re: Can I crack DC?

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 pm

No chance at W&C, probably out at Wilmer. Dunno about the other two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Out at W&C and Wilmer for sure, and almost certainly out at the others as well.

Median at CCN is not a great place to be targeting very good DC firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 pm

How far out am I? Do they only take top 10% or something?

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How far out am I? Do they only take top 10% or something?
Yes. Probably even higher from CCN. You have to realize that DC is another world. Firms that are happy to take CCN kids at median can be a lot pickier (exact translations I don't know but maybe top 25%+) in DC because 1) everyone wants to be in DC and 2) class sizes are a lot smaller. People from your school can give you more specific advice but I'll just say if you're serious about DC, you have to start thinking about applying very broadly, not just the firms you like/have heard of. Firms like Steptoe Johnson and Wiley Rein are closer to your stats than Wilmer. Sorry if this is blunt but DC is kinda crazy so I think it's better to know what you're getting into.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Yukos wrote:
Yes. Probably even higher from CCN. You have to realize that DC is another world. Firms that are happy to take CCN kids at median can be a lot pickier (exact translations I don't know but maybe top 25%+) in DC because 1) everyone wants to be in DC and 2) class sizes are a lot smaller. People from your school can give you more specific advice but I'll just say if you're serious about DC, you have to start thinking about applying very broadly, not just the firms you like/have heard of. Firms like Steptoe Johnson and Wiley Rein are closer to your stats than Wilmer. Sorry if this is blunt but DC is kinda crazy so I think it's better to know what you're getting into.
This sounds about right. for reference, median at HYS would be unlikely to get any of these firms.

Op, you should check out firm websites to see the credentials of their class. For example, Akin DC has two Columbia associates- one of whom was EIC of CLR and clerked for the DC Cir, and the other was also CLR and clerked for one of the most competitive D.cts in the country. The other firms you listed will follow this same trend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks. I've bid some firms further down, but will mass mail more to try and find something.

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 am

OMG! I can't wait to mop the floor with these supposed "BigLaw" prestigious firms! (I'm bottom of the class...but I'm gonna kick your ass in patent law!)

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 pm

boozehound wrote:OMG! I can't wait to mop the floor with these supposed "BigLaw" prestigious firms! (I'm bottom of the class...but I'm gonna kick your ass in patent law!)
:roll:

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Yukos wrote:
I agree the key is broadening your scope. All the listed firms are out - and from median, maybe every firm - but you don't have to be top 10% (or above) to get any biglaw in DC. For Williams & Connolly, yea, you better be near the top of your class regardless of where you go to school (even yale students can't waltz in). For A&P, Wilmer and GDC maybe top 10% to be safe. But for top third is a better cutoff for some of the less pretentious shops; I have friends taking CBs in DC right now from low stone (albeit not from wilmerhale and shit like that), which would convert to roughly 65th-70th%ile.

I also think Chicago might have a leg up over NYU and even CLS in the capital firms so I think "CCN" is even stupider here than usual. If you're 'median' at Chicago you're maybe still locked out of DC but I'd give you a better shot than other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”