I'm relatively happy. Should I prestige-up?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I'm relatively happy. Should I prestige-up?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:17 pm

I am a junior litigator at a prestigious biglaw firm whose culture I generally like. I like one of the partners I work for very much and have been getting on more of his cases; I'd be happy working for him for the foreseeable future. However, I also have other cases with more difficult people and I'm a little afraid that I might get sucked into tough times at some point. It's hard to tell what the next six months will bring, but I'm generally pretty happy here, which I think is hard to find in biglaw.

I've been offered an interview at arguably the most prestigious firm in my state (you know the ones) but I'm not sure if I should go after it. I'm kind of tired of being on the prestige treadmill, but I've also heard that working at this firm can be great. What I really want is to work for good people and do my best to maintain a work-life balance. I sort of have that now, but I don't know if I would there. Bird in the hand versus two in the bush, I guess.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking I might do the interview and see what I think. I'd feel really bad about leaving my current position, but it's my life, so I guess I'd get over it.

Julius

New

Re: I'm relatively happy. Should I prestige-up?

Post by Julius » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:21 pm

I'd take the more prestigious position. It might help you lateral to an even more prestigious position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Julius wrote:I'd take the more prestigious position. It might help you lateral to an even more prestigious position.
Haha, is this a joke? It's kind of funny.

For reference, I'm talking about moving from the ~top 15 of this ranking to the ~top 5:

http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/l ... sRankID=35

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:34 pm

You're a litigation associate. The most prestigious firms for litigation are not in the V5 (Williams & Connolly, GDC (appellate), WilmerHale (appellate), etc.).

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a junior litigator at a prestigious biglaw firm whose culture I generally like. I like one of the partners I work for very much and have been getting on more of his cases; I'd be happy working for him for the foreseeable future. However, I also have other cases with more difficult people and I'm a little afraid that I might get sucked into tough times at some point. It's hard to tell what the next six months will bring, but I'm generally pretty happy here, which I think is hard to find in biglaw.

I've been offered an interview at arguably the most prestigious firm in my state (you know the ones) but I'm not sure if I should go after it. I'm kind of tired of being on the prestige treadmill, but I've also heard that working at this firm can be great. What I really want is to work for good people and do my best to maintain a work-life balance. I sort of have that now, but I don't know if I would there. Bird in the hand versus two in the bush, I guess.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking I might do the interview and see what I think. I'd feel really bad about leaving my current position, but it's my life, so I guess I'd get over it.
I would do the interview and see what you think. Think of it as a two-way interview where both you and the firm are evaluating each other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Happiness > marginal increase in prestige that isn't as important as the quality of your experience/skills

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 pm

ph14 wrote:Happiness > marginal increase in prestige that isn't as important as the quality of your experience/skills

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 pm

This thread is super troll-y.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:You're a litigation associate. The most prestigious firms for litigation are not in the V5 (Williams & Connolly, GDC (appellate), WilmerHale (appellate), etc.).
Great, I'm getting drawn into a prestige argument. Can you explain your point further? I didn't link to V5 generally, but to V5 selectivity, which IMO appears to capture the most preftigious litigation firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:47 pm

1) Are you happy where you're currently at, preftiege notwithstanding?
2) Can you feasibly get your desired exit option from your current firm? Can you confirm this with real people who have done it?

If both yes, stay. If either no, consider interviewing to improve your situation.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:48 pm

If you can lateral to Munger, Irell, W&C, Wachtell, or GDC, I don't see why you wouldn't. The quality of life isn't likely to be any different than where you are now and the exit options can only get better. If nothing else take the damn interview.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:You're a litigation associate. The most prestigious firms for litigation are not in the V5 (Williams & Connolly, GDC (appellate), WilmerHale (appellate), etc.).
Great, I'm getting drawn into a prestige argument. Can you explain your point further? I didn't link to V5 generally, but to V5 selectivity, which IMO appears to capture the most preftigious litigation firms.
None of this rankings shit matters for litigation anyway. It doesn't affect your exit options. Your GPA/clerkship matter more than firm name for highly competitive litigation exit options. Hiring attorneys in the DOJ are not going to drop their panties because you worked at Cravath. They want to see great grades, prestigious clerkship, and good litigation experience (especially trial experience).

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:51 pm

arklaw13 wrote:If you can lateral to Munger, Irell, W&C, Wachtell, or GDC, I don't see why you wouldn't. The quality of life isn't likely to be any different than where you are now and the exit options can only get better. If nothing else take the damn interview.
The exit options are not better. They are the same.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:If you can lateral to Munger, Irell, W&C, Wachtell, or GDC, I don't see why you wouldn't. The quality of life isn't likely to be any different than where you are now and the exit options can only get better. If nothing else take the damn interview.
The exit options are not better. They are the same.
Likelyhood of partnership might change. Not that it gets feasible or that you actually want it though.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:05 pm

If you are generally pretty happy, why would you change? If you have a relatively good work-life balance now (I'm assuming you think you do given that you're relatively happy), the firms at the top of your list are unlikely to present an improvement there.

It seems to make no sense unless you derive enough happiness from the prestige of your firm to offset whatever loss of work-life balance you would find if you switched. Most people would say this trade-off is not worth it. But for some, it is. Only you can answer the question for yourself.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 pm

This is terrible logic. The exit opportunities stay relatively same. The small benefit of increased lay preftige alone is not worth it to transfer if you are currently happy. Focus on things like whether the type of work you will be doing at the new firm is significantly better

tachikara

New

Post by tachikara » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Don't some of these firms pay much more than others? That may be a big factor

edit: accidental anon (tachikara)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:22 pm

If you can think of a concrete reason to do it, then sure. If it's just for a 10 spot jump in a Vault sub-ranking then you'd be a fool. All things equal you should stick with the devil you know, especially if you're actually pretty satisfied with it, which as you note is pretty unusual.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:05 am

Usually the argument for starting at a prestigious firm (V10, W&C, Munger, ect) is that then you can lateral down to a senior position at a slightly lower tier firm, either for QoL, specific practice group strength or partnership prospects.

I can't really see how the same reasoning applies for lateraling "up". It's so infrequent - unless after a clerkship or into a boutique - that it hardly comes up so it's tough to gauge.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 am

L’Étranger wrote:This thread is super troll-y.
Referring to Vault as "this ranking" and referring to firms as preftigious? Seems legit.

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:31 am

Kikero wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:This thread is super troll-y.
Referring to Vault as "this ranking" and referring to firms as preftigious? Seems legit.
No doubt! I'm a big time litigator...but can't wipe my own ass. Any thoughts????

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 am

You'd be surprised. Being able to wipe your own ass is not a prerequisite for getting a job at Skadden LA or whatever.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”