Expressing multiple practice group interests Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Expressing multiple practice group interests

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 am

Doing mass mailing, have a question about practice groups. Is it ok to express interest in two practice groups? I have experience in bankruptcy but I don't want to pidgeonhole myself into that especially because it is a small field in most firms (like 4 associates lol). I really want transactional, so for a lot of firms that have corporate and bankruptcy i say i'm interested in both (ie I'm interested in corporate or bankruptcy practice group). Or will that look too wishy washy? I understand gunning for one location is credited, not sure about two practice groups that are related (im not talking about wanting litigation or corporate here).

ResIpsa21

Bronze

Re: Expressing multiple practice group interests

Post by ResIpsa21 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:04 am

You should be fine doing this. Firms will only see you as "wishy washy" if you don't know what you want to do or if you convey that you don't understand the work of a biglaw firm. This happens when people say things like "I am interested in your firm because you have well-respected corporate and patent litigation practice groups." Something like that signals "I don't know what the hell your lawyers actually do, and I definitely don't know what I want to do myself." But it's fine if you can convey that you truly understand and have a reason to be interested in multiple practice groups. Even if the two groups are very different, a firm won't look down on you for not being 100% sure which one you want to pursue yet. Just make sure you demonstrate why you're interested in both. For your particular situation, corporate and bankruptcy might be similar enough that you don't even need to explain.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Expressing multiple practice group interests

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 pm

IMO if this is for a SA job, totally fine. What you want to avoid is representing that you have knowledge you don't have. I.e. don't tell some place you love their cap markets practice if you don't know what that means.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”