Banking/finance reading for new attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shock259

Gold

Banking/finance reading for new attorney

Post by shock259 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:53 am

Going into a banking/finance corporate group. Are there any good books that would give me a background on the area, an overview of the law, or any other relevant information that would be helpful when I start? Assume I know nothing.

NYSprague

Silver

Re: Banking/finance reading for new attorney

Post by NYSprague » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:07 am

Get access to recent PLI stuff. The law librarian or someone at your firm should be able to help you. Also cle stuff from the bar association in New York

Go over the documents used in transactions. Read them carefully and understand what the various provisions are doing. You might have access to your firms from bank.

I know people feel these docs are just cut and paste, but they aren't. Try to understand how changing one provision changes another.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Thank you! Very helpful!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:43 pm

This is the only book you'll need. People often find it useful for M&A, but I thought it was most useful for banking/finance because it was written by a banking/Finance Attorney and focuses on a credit/loan agreement:

http://www.amazon.com/Working-With-Cont ... t+drafting

I find the PLI stuff less useful. Yes, it teaches you stuff, but it's stuff that you're not really expected to know from the get go and that you get a sense of over the course of your training as a corporate lawyer. For instance, one PLI article told me that certain seller reps and buyer reps should match up with each other from the get-go, but after putting this into the merger agreement the senior associate said that he generally never offers that up in the initial draft.

Don't get ahead of yourself as as corporate lawyer. The system and structure in place is very well designed for you to learn the ropes, and no one is expecting you to draft definitive documents from day 1.

whyhello

New

Post by whyhello » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:03 pm

i am interested in this as well so thanks! do you guys also have any thoughts on the best/worst thing about being in bank finance?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”