Help me pick! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help me pick!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:15 pm

CLS, below median, K-JD, a lot of international experience.

I'm finalizing my bidlist and debating among these firms: Freshfields, White&Case and Allen&Overy.
I understand they may be reach firms (esp A&O) for me, but because the rest of my list is quite conservative and I would really like to work for an international law firm, I thought I would try at least one of these three firms.

I would appreciate any advice/recommendation - where would I have the best chance of landing an offer? Also, I heard White & Case in the recent past has laid off some people, and was wondering if the firm continues to struggle.

Anonymous User

Re: Help me pick!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CLS, below median, K-JD, a lot of international experience.

I'm finalizing my bidlist and debating among these firms: Freshfields, White&Case and Allen&Overy.
I understand they may be reach firms (esp A&O) for me, but because the rest of my list is quite conservative and I would really like to work for an international law firm, I thought I would try at least one of these three firms.

I would appreciate any advice/recommendation - where would I have the best chance of landing an offer? Also, I heard White & Case in the recent past has laid off some people, and was wondering if the firm continues to struggle.
Am another rising 2L at CLS.

These are not reach firms purely in terms of grade selectivity, but they are hard to get. They prize fluency in a foreign language and international (work) experience... or at least the Magic Circle ones do, I don't know much about White & Case. If you speak fluent Mandarin, Spanish, French, etc., I'd bid them in a heartbeat if that's really where you want to end up.

If those are the firms you really want, why not bid all three? You have 30 bids. Surely there's something you can drop for these three spots?

Anonymous User

Re: Help me pick!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:27 pm

2L CLS student as well. Not much interest in international work (don't speak any other languages fluently) but bid White and Allen because of lack of grade selectivity. Are these wasted bids if I don't offer much "international" experience or appeal?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”