Energy work at Dallas/Austin offices of Texas Big 3 Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BleekerSuits

New

Energy work at Dallas/Austin offices of Texas Big 3 Firms?

Post by BleekerSuits » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:26 pm

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the non-Houston offices of the Texas Big Three firms and whether they did any energy work? I know that BB and V&E are pretty much the go to firms for big energy M&A, but I was wondering if you'd get a chance to be exposed to those transactions outside of Houston? Or do they just work on non energy work?

Anonymous User

Re: Energy work at Dallas/Austin offices of Texas Big 3 Firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:28 pm

My rough sense-- I'm going to be on the lit side only as a 2L but did a short rotation in corp at a Big 7 as a 1L-- is that Dallas and Austin do see some energy work but not as much as Houston. Austin is a lot more tech, fund formation, VC, private equity; Dallas is more a New York(...ish) style practice with a mix of energy, general mix corporate, and financial services work.

That said Houston has pretty much all of those as well, and both have some energy work. The edges bleed a lot, is the point.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 am

BleekerSuits wrote:I was wondering if anyone had experience with the non-Houston offices of the Texas Big Three firms and whether they did any energy work? I know that BB and V&E are pretty much the go to firms for big energy M&A, but I was wondering if you'd get a chance to be exposed to those transactions outside of Houston? Or do they just work on non energy work?
Yes. I have a friend working in the V&E Dallas office and he works extensively with the Houston office on energy matters. He is concerned that he may be overlooked for partnership because he doesn't have the daily face-to-face interactions with the partners who works with in Houston, but knows other baby partners at the firm who became partners under similar circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:58 am

legalese_retard wrote:
BleekerSuits wrote:I was wondering if anyone had experience with the non-Houston offices of the Texas Big Three firms and whether they did any energy work? I know that BB and V&E are pretty much the go to firms for big energy M&A, but I was wondering if you'd get a chance to be exposed to those transactions outside of Houston? Or do they just work on non energy work?
Yes. I have a friend working in the V&E Dallas office and he works extensively with the Houston office on energy matters. He is concerned that he may be overlooked for partnership because he doesn't have the daily face-to-face interactions with the partners who works with in Houston, but knows other baby partners at the firm who became partners under similar circumstances.
Completely agree with both of the responses, as far as BB Dallas is concerned.

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Yeah, so most of the work is sourced from Houston for pretty much all the firms (obvi). But there are a relatively good number of large (or mid-size) energy-related companies that are based (or have a large presence in DFW) including: Exxon (in Irving), Hunt, Denbury (in Plano), Breitling, Oxy, Plains All American Pipeline (in Irving), Pioneer Resources (in Irving), HollyFrontier (refineries), Energy Transfer, Energy Future Holdings Corp. (private holding co. for utilities like ONCOR and TXU), and Alon USA Energy, among others that I may be missing. (Source: http://www.governor.state.tx.us/files/e ... panies.pdf - interesting to compare Dallas HQs to Houston HQs)

Representation for these companies is spread across a few firms, with the firms you'd expect (V&E and Baker Botts) being highly involved. So you certainly can get some exposure to energy work in Dallas, but if your heart is set on energy, Houston is the place to be. Where Dallas does have some good opportunities is the funds/PE work that may involve energy-related work. But for public company M&A, Houston, no question. Also, may be good to target Houston, especially if you're considering in-house opportunities after working in BigLaw for a few years just because of the sheer number of O&G companies in Houston. Feel free to PM if you have other questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:10 am

downinDtown wrote:Yeah, so most of the work is sourced from Houston for pretty much all the firms (obvi). But there are a relatively good number of large (or mid-size) energy-related companies that are based (or have a large presence in DFW) including: Exxon (in Irving), Hunt, Denbury (in Plano), Breitling, Oxy, Plains All American Pipeline (in Irving), Pioneer Resources (in Irving), HollyFrontier (refineries), Energy Transfer, Energy Future Holdings Corp. (private holding co. for utilities like ONCOR and TXU), and Alon USA Energy, among others that I may be missing. (Source: http://www.governor.state.tx.us/files/e ... panies.pdf - interesting to compare Dallas HQs to Houston HQs)

Representation for these companies is spread across a few firms, with the firms you'd expect (V&E and Baker Botts) being highly involved. So you certainly can get some exposure to energy work in Dallas, but if your heart is set on energy, Houston is the place to be. Where Dallas does have some good opportunities is the funds/PE work that may involve energy-related work. But for public company M&A, Houston, no question. Also, may be good to target Houston, especially if you're considering in-house opportunities after working in BigLaw for a few years just because of the sheer number of O&G companies in Houston. Feel free to PM if you have other questions.
I summered at BB in Austin. happy to answer Q's

BigLawer

Bronze

Post by BigLawer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
downinDtown wrote:Yeah, so most of the work is sourced from Houston for pretty much all the firms (obvi). But there are a relatively good number of large (or mid-size) energy-related companies that are based (or have a large presence in DFW) including: Exxon (in Irving), Hunt, Denbury (in Plano), Breitling, Oxy, Plains All American Pipeline (in Irving), Pioneer Resources (in Irving), HollyFrontier (refineries), Energy Transfer, Energy Future Holdings Corp. (private holding co. for utilities like ONCOR and TXU), and Alon USA Energy, among others that I may be missing. (Source: http://www.governor.state.tx.us/files/e ... panies.pdf - interesting to compare Dallas HQs to Houston HQs)

I summered at BB in Austin. happy to answer Q's
Not OP, but did you do corporate work? I heard their corporate practice is very small. Did you accept an offer from that office? What was your perception of how many people they bring on in their corp. dept. each year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”