big firm patent associate contemplating life, taking Qs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dood

Gold

big firm patent associate contemplating life, taking Qs

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:32 pm

second year associate. patent litigation. drafting some shit right now. hate life. ask me Qs on how miserable you will be when you're in litigation.

Anonymous User

Re: big firm patent associate contemplating life, taking Qs

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 pm

How's the salary for patent lit as a 1st and 2nd yr associate? Did you start off higher than new non-patent associates and/or do you think you received a higher bonus? The general assumption is patent lit (and patent attorneys in general) make more, but is that true right off the bat or is it just true later in the career?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How's the salary for patent lit as a 1st and 2nd yr associate? Did you start off higher than new non-patent associates and/or do you think you received a higher bonus? The general assumption is patent lit (and patent attorneys in general) make more, but is that true right off the bat or is it just true later in the career?
your assumption is wrong. generally, all big law firms pay the same scale:

regardless of what field you're in. some variation here and there depending on bonus structure. but you will receive NOTHING more than a same year non-patent associate at your firm. also, im talking about big law here. maybe some small firms differentiate, but ive never heard of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:49 pm

How do the exit options look for someone in your position. How hard is it to get in house from patent lit vs. From prosecution? Did you have a science degree? If so, is the work heavily reliant on your scientific knowledge?

CiFULA

New

Post by CiFULA » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 pm

sry to hear dood :( what about litigation is making you miserable? do you think you'd be any less miserable if you were transactional? apart from reading on tls that lit may be more easy to schedule your life around, im not really sure what lit attorneys do. i guess junior transactional attorneys do sig pages and doc review type stuff. what is the lit associate equivalent? and when does one become an expert at what they do. im still trying to figure that out with the transactional attorneys. also, what market if you dont mind. thx for taking questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do the exit options look for someone in your position. How hard is it to get in house from patent lit vs. From prosecution? Did you have a science degree? If so, is the work heavily reliant on your scientific knowledge?
pretty good. ideally you need both, since in-house you will be asked to farm out your companies lit and prosc. my advice: at least do enough of the one you hate so you can talk the talk.

yes, bachelors electrical engineering. i rely to some degree. i would say 20% is background, 80% is reading a bunch of shit on wiki, buying a textbook, reading other similar patents, science papers, etc.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 pm

CiFULA wrote:sry to hear dood :( what about litigation is making you miserable? do you think you'd be any less miserable if you were transactional? apart from reading on tls that lit may be more easy to schedule your life around, im not really sure what lit attorneys do. i guess junior transactional attorneys do sig pages and doc review type stuff. what is the lit associate equivalent? and when does one become an expert at what they do. im still trying to figure that out with the transactional attorneys. also, what market if you dont mind. thx for taking questions.
thanks. DC. litigation requires you be on-call at certain times. for example, i had to cancel a bunch of plans and shit because opposing counsel filed something on friday night. on the other hand, sometimes I dont even go to work because there is nothing to do. your schedule entirely depends on the case.

my friends who do transactional work equal number of hours, but they know when. i.e., the merger is set for X date, and all the transactional attorneys scramble to meet that date, sometimes working non-stop the days before.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 pm

CiFULA wrote:what is the lit associate equivalent?
legal research. draft pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery requests and responses. work with expert witnesses. teleconference with clients about how the case is going. sit in depos and try not to fall asleep. go to court now and then, but not very often as a junior associate.

we also do doc review too, but at my firm it mostly gets farmed out to contract attorneys and i think a lot of big firms do the same.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 pm

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do the exit options look for someone in your position. How hard is it to get in house from patent lit vs. From prosecution? Did you have a science degree? If so, is the work heavily reliant on your scientific knowledge?
pretty good. ideally you need both, since in-house you will be asked to farm out your companies lit and prosc. my advice: at least do enough of the one you hate so you can talk the talk.

yes, bachelors electrical engineering. i rely to some degree. i would say 20% is background, 80% is reading a bunch of shit on wiki, buying a textbook, reading other similar patents, science papers, etc.
This advice should be caveated big time. If you have a tech degree, the exit options from patent lit are okay. If you don't, you're fucked. I have personal experience with this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote: This advice should be caveated big time. If you have a tech degree, the exit options from patent lit are okay. If you don't, you're fucked. I have personal experience with this.
whats up. remember when i used to send you PMs asking about the firm life? you shoulda just told me to quit when i still had a life, GF, etc.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:21 pm

dood wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote: This advice should be caveated big time. If you have a tech degree, the exit options from patent lit are okay. If you don't, you're fucked. I have personal experience with this.
whats up. remember when i used to send you PMs asking about the firm life? you shoulda just told me to quit when i still had a life, GF, etc.
oh shit.

opinion on best practice group for semblance of work/life balance?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:24 pm

toothbrush wrote:
dood wrote:
oh shit.

opinion on best practice group for semblance of work/life balance?
not litigation? i dunno man, it varies a lot by firm too. maybe even office. i have friends doing patent lit at quinn, foley, PH, etc -- and its all over the map. some are more fucked than me, some have awesome life balance (wife, kids, etc.). prolly depends also on partners you work for.

just make sure to ask ALOT of questions when you interview, especially the associates. if they look miserable, dont go.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:26 pm

dood wrote:
not litigation? i dunno man, it varies a lot by firm too. maybe even office. i have friends doing patent lit at quinn, foley, PH, etc -- and its all over the map. some are more fucked than me, some have awesome life balance (wife, kids, etc.). prolly depends also on partners you work for.

just make sure to ask ALOT of questions when you interview, especially the associates. if they look miserable, dont go.
seems like that's the general advice (varying firm by firm, partner by partner).

have you gotten to go to court much in last two years (to litigate, not file)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tortellini

New

Post by tortellini » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
dood wrote:

This advice should be caveated big time. If you have a tech degree, the exit options from patent lit are okay. If you don't, you're fucked. I have personal experience with this.
Good to hear that the Google/Wikipedia combo never fails. So I'm assuming life sciences are kind of screwed when it comes to exit options?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:40 pm

toothbrush wrote: seems like that's the general advice (varying firm by firm, partner by partner).

have you gotten to go to court much in last two years (to litigate, not file)
yeah, sorry I dont have anything more concrete. also, when you get to your firm, make friends with senior associates and ask them which partners are good to work for.

yes, have gone to court, but for nothing worth mentioning. if you must know, pro bono cases, where i do all the talking, but it gets old pretty quickly. on real litigations too, but only minor hearings, and you just sit there. so also pretty worthless.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 pm

tortellini wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
dood wrote:

Good to hear that the Google/Wikipedia combo never fails. So I'm assuming life sciences are kind of screwed when it comes to exit options?
i think life sciences qualifies as tech degree. i dont know that many life sciences people though, so not sure. sorry.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:51 pm

From talking to other associates at your firm, how much does QOL change across practice areas? (What is the best?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:From talking to other associates at your firm, how much does QOL change across practice areas? (What is the best?)
dunno, bc i havent talked to associates in every area. but i will tell you what I know has shit QOL and why:

- patent troll litigation, because their job is to make life miserable for as long as possible for everyone until your client folds
- any litigation where the gov is the plaintiff (antitrust, SEC, etc), because the FTC, DOJ, SEC are all dickcheesburgers on powertrips, i.e. people who are trying to make a name for themselves for one reason or another
- FCPA, because you have to travel to 3rd world countries, and spend months away from your friends and family

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 pm

dood wrote:
You can always quit.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:30 pm

OP, thanks for doing this. I keep hearing about QOL depending entirely on the partners associates work for. Do associates have the capacity to affect the partner-associate situations they find themselves in? At your firm or anywhere you know of?

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Are there major differences between CS and EE folks in terms of employability and exit options?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:27 pm

dood wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:From talking to other associates at your firm, how much does QOL change across practice areas? (What is the best?)
dunno, bc i havent talked to associates in every area. but i will tell you what I know has shit QOL and why:

- patent troll litigation, because their job is to make life miserable for as long as possible for everyone until your client folds
- any litigation where the gov is the plaintiff (antitrust, SEC, etc), because the FTC, DOJ, SEC are all dickcheesburgers on powertrips, i.e. people who are trying to make a name for themselves for one reason or another
- FCPA, because you have to travel to 3rd world countries, and spend months away from your friends and family
Thanks for the bare facts on this one.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:16 am

How much do you hate having to do pitches for new cases? I hate it.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:30 am

my friends who do transactional work equal number of hours, but they know when. i.e., the merger is set for X date, and all the transactional attorneys scramble to meet that date, sometimes working non-stop the days before.
lol no we don't. About 90% of the time, dates slip or are pushed up. Transactional is way, way more unpredictable.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

papercut wrote:Are there major differences between CS and EE folks in terms of employability and exit options?
Yes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”