References from previous jobs needed for SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

References from previous jobs needed for SA?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:37 pm

Currently applying for law school, but was wondering if Big Law firms ask for or check up on references from previous jobs? I'm considering leaving my present job to spend more time with my family before I start school, but I know that if I leave earlier than expected, my employers will be upset at me, and may say negative things if firms call for references.

So, do corporate firms ask for references, and if so, do they actually call and check on it?

Diamond

Re: References from previous jobs needed for SA?

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently applying for law school, but was wondering if Big Law firms ask for or check up on references from previous jobs? I'm considering leaving my present job to spend more time with my family before I start school, but I know that if I leave earlier than expected, my employers will be upset at me, and may say negative things if firms call for references.

So, do corporate firms ask for references, and if so, do they actually call and check on it?
Only 1 of the 60 firms I interviewed at asked for it. And you can always select a different reference.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:55 am

If you're on good terms with 1 or 2 people there who are higher than you, just use them instead of a more direct boss that you think might say something bad about you.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:18 pm

A very small handful of firms will ask for references, but you can always just not list your present job as a reference if you think they'll badmouth you. You should easily be able to get two or three references from law school alone (your 1L summer gig, professors, etc).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”