DOJ Honors 2014 EOIR-OCIJ Finalists Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014 EOIR-OCIJ Finalists

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any references checked today?
Not that I know of.. :(
-A1

anyone interning at the EOIR right now that has any insight as to when these offers are coming? Yesterday I broke down and started applying to other jobs because I just can't have all my eggs in one basket with this wait. I'd hate to find myself as an alternate and having missed other opportunities just playing this waiting game.
Last year it seems that offers were made around this time. The shutdown really slowed things down. Hopefully we hear back before Christmas. I just don't understand how offers are extended. If you put down a geographical preference, does that mean you are worse off compared to someone who didn't?
none checked to my knowledge. i've already applied to a ton of other jobs, but they're no faster.

-SE49

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:12 pm

I wonder how many people will turn down an offer just because of location. This waiting game is making me a very patient person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Out of all of us in this thread, only one candidate's references have been contacted. It's really making me think I'm not getting an offer.

BB1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of all of us in this thread, only one candidate's references have been contacted. It's really making me think I'm not getting an offer.

BB1
Me too :(
-A1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out of all of us in this thread, only one candidate's references have been contacted. It's really making me think I'm not getting an offer.

BB1
Me too :(
-A1
Deana's posting today that "I've received several inquiries about whether EOIR OCIJ has started issuing offers, so I asked EOIR about their status. As of yesterday, OCIJ has NOT, repeat NOT, started issuing offers," should be comforting for those of us that are concerned about not getting an offer. Because - none of us have gotten an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:29 pm

BB1
correction-- only ONE of ONE candidate's references have been contacted TO our knowledge. i know you guys are feeling despondent, but let's be reasonable. there are 210 references to contact!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:19 pm

another day - another useful post from Deana indicating that no offers have been made thus far for EOIR OCIJ. But, knowing that the first week of January is a more likely time frame is at least helpful. What's interesting is that Deana indicated that some references have been contacted (none of mine yet), so that post pretty much confirms the process this board has been speculating about. That is, if your references get checked between now and first week of January - you're a first round offeree!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks for the update! My references have not been contacted (yet) :-/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the update! My references have not been contacted (yet) :-/
Mine either... and it sounds like they have started to check quite a few, so that sucks.
-A1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:45 pm

1. EOIR OCIJ is still doing reference checks. They are a bit short-staffed and have some other priority projects, so there are not as many people working on the reference checks as they would prefer.

2. They have, however, made their initial selections for first round offers for each court. They will not actually extend an offer to these candidates until they hear back from all references for each specific candidate. Some of the delay is associated with the time it takes references to respond.

3. They hope to be able to issue a few offers before Christmas, but, for the most part, it is likely to be at least early January before they extend first-round offers.

4. They are NOT waiting until they have completed reference checks for the entire finalist pool before issuing offers to first-round candidates.

5. EOIR understands your eagerness to hear from them and they are impatient to get their offers out,but they have to go through their process and, unfortunately, it's been delayed this year.
It'd be interesting to learn how many finalists, if any, end up withdrawing or rejecting offers as a result of the delays to and uncertainty surrounding the process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1. EOIR OCIJ is still doing reference checks. They are a bit short-staffed and have some other priority projects, so there are not as many people working on the reference checks as they would prefer.

2. They have, however, made their initial selections for first round offers for each court. They will not actually extend an offer to these candidates until they hear back from all references for each specific candidate. Some of the delay is associated with the time it takes references to respond.

3. They hope to be able to issue a few offers before Christmas, but, for the most part, it is likely to be at least early January before they extend first-round offers.

4. They are NOT waiting until they have completed reference checks for the entire finalist pool before issuing offers to first-round candidates.

5. EOIR understands your eagerness to hear from them and they are impatient to get their offers out,but they have to go through their process and, unfortunately, it's been delayed this year.
It'd be interesting to learn how many finalists, if any, end up withdrawing or rejecting offers as a result of the delays to and uncertainty surrounding the process.
I hope a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Any EOIR interns whose references have been contacted?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Personally, I think the reference check process is a waste of time. I mean, who would list as a reference someone that would say something non-positive about the candidate? However, contacting previous employers (especially ones not listed as references) seems like a much better idea. But, whatever - it is what it is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any EOIR interns whose references have been contacted?
I don't think mine have. Is anyone thinking of e-mailing their references to follow up and check?
-A1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:27 pm

No news today huh?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No news today huh?
Nope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:35 am

Hope we get news today!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:50 am

One of my references was contacted on 12/24... Merry Xmas to me from EOIR!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:One of my references was contacted on 12/24... Merry Xmas to me from EOIR!
Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Congrats! Is anyone else worried that maybe their references have been contacted, but your references just haven't told you? Is there a non-awkward way to ask your references to let you know if they hear from EOIR??

-SE49

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats! Is anyone else worried that maybe their references have been contacted, but your references just haven't told you? Is there a non-awkward way to ask your references to let you know if they hear from EOIR??

-SE49
I want to do this as well - I just don't really know what to say.
-A1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:52 pm

I would say there is no non-awkward way to ask your references if they've been contacted about you. Just man up. Or woman up if applicable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:40 am

Honestly, my take is: if you don't have the kind of relationship with your references where you can ask them that, you may have wanted to pick different people for references.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, my take is: if you don't have the kind of relationship with your references where you can ask them that, you may have wanted to pick different people for references.
That's ideal, but not everyone has professional connections that they are pretty close with. I am only in my first seminar of law school this semester, and all of my other classes have been around 50+, and I don't go to office hours. I took some time off to travel before school, so my employment references are from a long time ago and we are not really in touch. Wish I could change that, but the fact is not everyone is on really friendly terms with all of their professors or employers. I think that is relatively normal. I am sure I could ask some of my references and it would not be weird, but I would still feel weird about it, maybe partly because I am so nervous about this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, my take is: if you don't have the kind of relationship with your references where you can ask them that, you may have wanted to pick different people for references.
That's ideal, but not everyone has professional connections that they are pretty close with. I am only in my first seminar of law school this semester, and all of my other classes have been around 50+, and I don't go to office hours. I took some time off to travel before school, so my employment references are from a long time ago and we are not really in touch. Wish I could change that, but the fact is not everyone is on really friendly terms with all of their professors or employers. I think that is relatively normal. I am sure I could ask some of my references and it would not be weird, but I would still feel weird about it, maybe partly because I am so nervous about this.
Well - if you were comfortable enough to list them as a reference, they must at least know who you are. On a similar note, I think one of my references left their job (where he had supervised me) for a new on this month - so good luck trying to get a hold of him. =(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”