2014 SEC Summer Honors Program Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2014 SEC Summer Honors Program

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just as an FYI, I didn't hear from the SEC until mid-december last year, so even though you may not have heard anything yet, you could still be in the running.
A couple of questions:

1. How long was it after your interview before you heard back?
2. Did you accept?
3. If so, how was it and what division/location?

Thanks.
1.Next day
2.Yes
3.One of the smaller div. (not enforcement)/DC. I really enjoyed it, was very useful and informative, made a lot of connections and helped me secure post-grad employment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just as an FYI, I didn't hear from the SEC until mid-december last year, so even though you may not have heard anything yet, you could still be in the running.
A couple of questions:

1. How long was it after your interview before you heard back?
2. Did you accept?
3. If so, how was it and what division/location?

Thanks.
1.Next day
2.Yes
3.One of the smaller div. (not enforcement)/DC. I really enjoyed it, was very useful and informative, made a lot of connections and helped me secure post-grad employment.
Damn. I interviewed several weeks ago and not a peep from the SEC. Probably a bad sign...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:59 pm

yeah I interviewed a month ago...
oh well. They said the hiring committee meets every two weeks, so not hearing after that is not a good sign

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yeah I interviewed a month ago...
oh well. They said the hiring committee meets every two weeks, so not hearing after that is not a good sign
I am the anon who heard back the next day. I guess I should put out a disclaimer because I received offers from several groups. Two got back to me the next day, another in a few weeks, and I received an offer from one of the regional offices in February. So depending on the division you interviewed with you may be in the running. Additionally, I didn't interview with them until mid-December. Because they were wrapping up their 2L hiring I think they moved things along pretty quickly for me.

lawstudent814

New

Post by lawstudent814 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:08 am

1. applied 10/6, interview mid-November, offer the next week
2. still deciding.
3. Division of Enforcement

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:31 pm

As of yesterday they are accepting applications for the 1L summer program. A few questions, if anyone is willing to share:

1. There's not a lot of information specific to the 1L experience, has anyone here done it?

2. Applications are open until the beginning of February, but they are on a rolling basis so I am trying to decide whether I should apply now and submit a transcript with my grades when they're posted at the end of January, or if I should wait to apply. Anyone have advice? Leaning toward applying now due to rolling admissions.

3. There is a separate application email address for each office. I am interested in working in any of the offices, and it might help my odds to apply to every office. The site has no specific guidance on doing this; any recommendations?

4. I'm assuming most 1Ls don't have grades at this point, so what are the selection criteria? My undergrad is in accounting (3.96 gpa) from a top-25 accounting program, and I interned at a Big 4 firm in a major market last summer. Should that give me a good enough shot to spend the time applying?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As of yesterday they are accepting applications for the 1L summer program. A few questions, if anyone is willing to share:

1. There's not a lot of information specific to the 1L experience, has anyone here done it?

2. Applications are open until the beginning of February, but they are on a rolling basis so I am trying to decide whether I should apply now and submit a transcript with my grades when they're posted at the end of January, or if I should wait to apply. Anyone have advice? Leaning toward applying now due to rolling admissions.

3. There is a separate application email address for each office. I am interested in working in any of the offices, and it might help my odds to apply to every office. The site has no specific guidance on doing this; any recommendations?

4. I'm assuming most 1Ls don't have grades at this point, so what are the selection criteria? My undergrad is in accounting (3.96 gpa) from a top-25 accounting program, and I interned at a Big 4 firm in a major market last summer. Should that give me a good enough shot to spend the time applying?

1L hiring is on a much slower schedule than 2L hiring for the SEC so if you can wait, I don't think it will kill your chances, especially if you get really good grades. However you seem to have solid experience that seems pretty attractive so their may be no need to wait. One of the 1Ls this year had Big 4 experience, as an employee not an intern, but her background was praised by a lot of the attorneys. I think you would have a good shot, but you never know. The summer honors program gets about 10,000 applications (this includes MBA students, undergrads, etc), but they only pick about 175, so even though it's for an unpaid gig it's still pretty competitive. You getting picked may have a lot to do with luck. With that being said, I would apply to all the locations you are willing to work at. I applied to 3 or 4 and got offers from two. As far as the program overall, I think the experience may be a little less fulfilling as a 1L, but still enriching none the less. Some of the 1Ls seemed to be assigned research projects while many of the 2Ls got to do rule filings, help prepare for trials and work on other types of assignments 1st year attorneys would be assigned. But this probably varies by group.

sucsuroc

New

Post by sucsuroc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As of yesterday they are accepting applications for the 1L summer program. A few questions, if anyone is willing to share:

1. I did this last year. It was great. I got a whole lot of experience that firms obviously thought was good and am positive it helped me land my job. The attorneys who worked with me were all really great and were almost all BigLaw alums (e.g. might be willing to make a call for you)

2. I applied at the end of January after all my grades were in. They took a month before responding and setting up an interview. I heard back a week after my interview. If I did it all over again, I'd apply sooner rather than later and update with my grades, but there are no sure things.

3. Last year, you could only apply to a max of 3 offices. The DC and NY offices are by far the biggest. NY is mostly enforcement, DC is everything. If you want to maximize your chances of a job and can't apply to everything, prioritize DC and NY.

4. That's good experience, but they will want your first semester grades at some point, so make sure to kick ass. Basically everyone there had some sort of comparable experience to you in undergrad. Maybe less good than you, but you shouldn't go in thinking you're a sure thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:31 am

Anyone have advice on which division to pick between Corp Fin and Enforcement as a 1L ? still not sure if I prefer transactional or enforcement

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have advice on which division to pick between Corp Fin and Enforcement as a 1L ? still not sure if I prefer transactional or enforcement
Did you just bump 3 different SEC threads to ask the same question?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Interviewed back in the fall and haven't heard anything since. Is it safe to say I'm out of the running for this summer's program?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”