Background checks common? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Background checks common?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:20 pm

I apologize if this is a repost (I don't remember if I asked this recently), but a firm that I got an OCI callback from is asking for conflicts and background checks. Is this standard? I thought they didn't waste the effort on this unless they are going to make you an offer.

Edit: fix typo

Anonymous User

Re: Background checks common?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize if this is a repost (I don't remember if I asked this recently), but a firm that I got an OCI callback from is asking for conflicts and background checks. Is this standard? I thought they didn't waste the effort on this unless they are going to make you an offer.

I had a background check and conflicts before the callback. It costs them virtually nothing to run them. I wouldn't read into it. They probably intend to make an offer to anyone who does a callback unless that person screws it up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize if this is a repost (I don't remember if I asked this recently), but a firm that I got an OCI callback from is asking for conflicts and background checks. Is this standard? I thought they didn't waste the effort on this unless they are going to make you an offer.

I had this requested before a CB. I just figured it was standard.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I had a background check and conflicts before the callback. It costs them virtually nothing to run them. I wouldn't read into it. They probably intend to make an offer to anyone who does a callback unless that person screws it up.
This. I've had them before (some but not all) callbacks. Also have had them performed in the past on tenants. Generally $40-50 will get you criminal, credit, and eviction, or in the case of employers, criminal, credit, and SSN verification. When you consider that they're spending a minimum of 5 attorney hours (blended between partners and associates) on your call back, the $50 is a drop in the bucket.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:03 pm

My offer letter is conditional on passing a background check. It'll be interesting to see how they do it, since I'm an international student.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My offer letter is conditional on passing a background check. It'll be interesting to see how they do it, since I'm an international student.
I had a similar offer (but not an international student) and am wondering how much they would be able to find. I have a couple arrests from high school that won't look great, but have been told repeatedly they shouldn't be a problem. I plan on telling whatever firm I accept before they run the check anyways. Anybody have any insight into this?

I looked into the old threads, but they only seem to talk about convictions - mine were continued without a finding - dismissed. Also, anyone know if midlaw firms do background checks less often? My midlaw offers don't mention anything about it. I know they will still likely do one later, but I'm just wondering.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My offer letter is conditional on passing a background check. It'll be interesting to see how they do it, since I'm an international student.
I had a similar offer (but not an international student) and am wondering how much they would be able to find. I have a couple arrests from high school that won't look great, but have been told repeatedly they shouldn't be a problem. I plan on telling whatever firm I accept before they run the check anyways. Anybody have any insight into this?

I looked into the old threads, but they only seem to talk about convictions - mine were continued without a finding - dismissed. Also, anyone know if midlaw firms do background checks less often? My midlaw offers don't mention anything about it. I know they will still likely do one later, but I'm just wondering.
Not sure (I imagine it depends on jurisdiction and firm and such), but I would recommend making sure you pass the background check of your top choice before declining others (assuming, of course, that you can find out if you pass the check before accepting).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”