How was this year versus past years? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How was this year versus past years?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:Here's my anecdote.

Among my fairly large group of friends at Mich, literally everyone has biglaw that wanted it, including people with GPAs ranging from sub-3.0 (some K-JDs) to top 10% and lots in between. That said, after reading through some posts in the Michigan OCI thread, it seems like alot of people struck out, too. Probably safe to say it'll be similar to last year. Who knows.

Also at Michigan, also can say that all my friends have something. And I'm fairly certain we aren't friends. But, I have heard if a couple people who don't have anything
Geez, sub-3.0's and almost everyone has something? Is Michigan doing better than NYU this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:46 pm

My impression is that Mich did VERY well this year.

frankc

New

Post by frankc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Anecdotes ≠ data

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:26 pm

GULC here. Everyone I've talked to who was looking for big law got SOMETHING out of it, but my sample size is small and pretty skewed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 pm

T-30 good regional school here. I think at this point people with offers are a very vocal minority and I think it is skewing impressions of the job market. I don't think class sizes have gone up in our city, if anything they went down or stayed the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T-30 good regional school here. I think at this point people with offers are a very vocal minority and I think it is skewing impressions of the job market. I don't think class sizes have gone up in our city, if anything they went down or stayed the same.
This tells us NOTHING. You're anonymous, post the school or don't bother posting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My impression is that Mich did VERY well this year.
Maybe, but I do have a good friend at Michigan, top 25% chill dude who struck out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Chicago here. Things went well as far as I can tell. All close friends I've talked to (maybe 10-15, most of whom are at or above median) have offers from Vault-rated firms, but one of them mentioned that he knew two people above median who struck out.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Someone I spoke with on the firm side referred to hiring as "flat" this year. I don't know if that was only for his firm/peer firms, but it was my impression that NYC was probably about the same as last year, with some firms growing their class and some cutting classes down.

At CLS, I get the impression that some people destroyed it, (e.g. most people who are taking Cravath or DPW had other great options) some people did acceptably well, (they may have only had a handful of offers but they got a V5/V20s they could reasonably hope for) some did OK, (with a few offers scattered across the V50) and some people struck out. I've heard of a couple of people getting good news this past week, but it seems like things are winding down. This is all obviously worthless anecdote. I wish I could say with confidence that collectively we killed it or that everyone got jobs, but it's something you just can't ask most people about. I wish we could have discussions about where we are going: I really enjoy my peers and hope they found something that's a good fit. I just am terrified of asking someone where they'll be working this summer to find out they've yet to line up a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chicago here. Things went well as far as I can tell. All close friends I've talked to (maybe 10-15, most of whom are at or above median) have offers from Vault-rated firms, but one of them mentioned that he knew two people above median who struck out.
I'm the poster who is at a T20.

My career counselor was saying how if you're above median--at our school is a 3.3--you have a chance with a big law firm in the Minneapolis/Madison/Milwaukee area.

I have a 3.4, and I have completely struck out.

A part of me is just thinking that he says that so I don't further sink into a hole of anxiety. And by "chance" he means "a very slim chance."

Such is life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 am

californiauser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T-30 good regional school here. I think at this point people with offers are a very vocal minority and I think it is skewing impressions of the job market. I don't think class sizes have gone up in our city, if anything they went down or stayed the same.
This tells us NOTHING. You're anonymous, post the school or don't bother posting.
Boston, BC

gnuwheels

Bronze

Post by gnuwheels » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:15 am

In the aggregate, the V100 class size in New York is almost definitely smaller than this past summer.*

*This is deduced from personal knowledge of 20+ firms with smaller anticipated class sizes for next year and only 2 with larger anticipated class sizes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:19 am

Chicago here. The people I know that did extremely well (5+offers) were some combination of the following:

(1) bid New York; (2) sold a lit or corp story hard; (3) personable people.

I did not see much of a correlation at all in terms of grades, outside of super below median (sub 176) or LR. I think that might be a consistent story for a while -- grades being neither necessary nor sufficient for success.

Overall, all of my friends (15-20) have something, but some only got by with 1-2 offers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:31 am

frankc wrote:Anecdotes ≠ data
No one is saying anecdotes = data, though.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by BuckinghamB on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:43 am

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:47 am

These threads are always useless.

1) No one knows literally everyone in their law school.
2) The people without jobs are the least likely to talk about it and, therefore, there's almost always a perception that things are better than they actually are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:56 am

GW. Everyone I know who had a good number of interviews at OCI has an offer, non-IP and IP. These people were a mix of LR and secondary journal, usually a skills board or two or three, and above average in social skills. All Vault, including multiple V10.

Edit: I have to qualify this as more complete sampling for IP and information only from one section.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:10 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:These threads are always useless.

2) The people without jobs are the least likely to talk about it and, therefore, there's almost always a perception that things are better than they actually are.
I completely agree with this. At least at my school, it feels like the same 15 people have offers from different law firms and the rest of us are desperately hunting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:06 am

Yep. I go to Mich too and I struck out. Some of my friends also stuck out. All of us are normal, sociable people. And there's no way in hell I'm broadcasting my OCI strikeout to the whole class of 2015. I imagine anyone who struck out would feel the same way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. I go to Mich too and I struck out. Some of my friends also stuck out. All of us are normal, sociable people. And there's no way in hell I'm broadcasting my OCI strikeout to the whole class of 2015. I imagine anyone who struck out would feel the same way.
markets?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:26 am

gnuwheels wrote:In the aggregate, the V100 class size in New York is almost definitely smaller than this past summer.*

*This is deduced from personal knowledge of 20+ firms with smaller anticipated class sizes for next year and only 2 with larger anticipated class sizes.
The only sort of post useful to this discussion without hard numbers from schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:48 am

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:13 pm

californiauser wrote: This tells us NOTHING. You're anonymous, post the school or don't bother posting.
Hey there, I just went through your post history, and it's clear you're a 0L. Maybe you should go ahead and stop telling people to out their schools until you are actually a law student.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:19 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
californiauser wrote: This tells us NOTHING. You're anonymous, post the school or don't bother posting.
Hey there, I just went through your post history, and it's clear you're a 0L. Maybe you should go ahead and stop telling people to out their schools until you are actually a law student.
This thread is most important for people not yet in law school trying to guage where the legal market is headed. I'm not violating any rules or asking questions. If you don't want to out your school, don't post. It's not complicated.

Posting "I'm at a Tier 1, OCI went great!" benefits no one.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:23 pm

I think you're confused, perhaps this thread can clear things up for you:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=189981

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”