Wow'd Non-Interviewing Pardner--Strategery? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wow'd Non-Interviewing Pardner--Strategery?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Posted this on another thread, but it either is a dumb question (sorry) or nobody noticed it, so I thought well maybe it's oddball enough to get its own thread? SO:

I was invited in for a screener interview with a very selective law firm on the basis of my resume/transcript (i.e., not lottery). The interview went fine, but not extraordinarily well, and the firm is so selective I was not expecting much to come from it. But before the interview, on a whim, I sent my note (soon to be published) to a partner at the same firm (not my interviewer) who is an expert in the subject area I wrote about, wrote a treatise that I cited several times, and is likely one of their most well-known and highly-regarded lawyers.

To my surprise, he replied with effusive praise for my work, said that he would cite it in the next edition of his treatise, and said that he would forward it to my interviewer (but that it would likely be received after my interview). Obviously, this was really encouraging on many levels. Several people told me I should follow up aggressively with the firm to try to capitalize on the fact that he the partner liked my writing so much, but I am unsure how to best do this, or if it is something I should even do at all. Any ideas or suggestions? Emails to my interviewer? The recruiter? Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Wow'd Non-Interviewing Pardner--Strategery?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:43 pm

"Let another praise you, and not your own mouth;a stranger, and not your own lips."

It seems like you've got good grades, a good note, and you've gotten into the good graces of the partner. Based on what you've told me, in my opinion, I would lay low and let the process run its course. He's already told you that he'll forward it to the interviewer. Just wait and see what happens.

Based on my own networking experience, I never try to seem too desperate or bug people multiple times. One time, I knew the wife of a partner at a firm I wanted to work at. I could've made it obvious that I wanted her to talk to her husband and have him interview me, but I just dropped hints and wasn't pushy. It worked out because I did get an interview eventually.

If it turns out that you don't get something with this firm, do you have other options? Or is this firm the only firm that you really have any leads with? Did you strike out at OCI already? If this is like your last hurrah, then maybe I would go more all out.

NYstate

Gold

Re: Wow'd Non-Interviewing Pardner--Strategery?

Post by NYstate » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Posted this on another thread, but it either is a dumb question (sorry) or nobody noticed it, so I thought well maybe it's oddball enough to get its own thread? SO:

I was invited in for a screener interview with a very selective law firm on the basis of my resume/transcript (i.e., not lottery). The interview went fine, but not extraordinarily well, and the firm is so selective I was not expecting much to come from it. But before the interview, on a whim, I sent my note (soon to be published) to a partner at the same firm (not my interviewer) who is an expert in the subject area I wrote about, wrote a treatise that I cited several times, and is likely one of their most well-known and highly-regarded lawyers.

To my surprise, he replied with effusive praise for my work, said that he would cite it in the next edition of his treatise, and said that he would forward it to my interviewer (but that it would likely be received after my interview). Obviously, this was really encouraging on many levels. Several people told me I should follow up aggressively with the firm to try to capitalize on the fact that he the partner liked my writing so much, but I am unsure how to best do this, or if it is something I should even do at all. Any ideas or suggestions? Emails to my interviewer? The recruiter? Thanks for any advice.
Here is my suggestion but ask other people as well. I would at least email recruiting so they know about your contact with this partner in advance. You could even forward his email to you; cc him on the email you are sending to recruiting and say something about keeping them in the loop about your contact with the firm.

Let them send it to the interviewer. It won't help you if they find out he liked you after the fact should the interviewer ding you. This isn't based on personal friends which can be more behind the scenes.

Like I said, ask others. I don't think it hurts to make sure recruiting knows about this interaction as long as it is a brief and professional Email and not desperate sounding.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”