Rising 3L with offer applying elsewhere? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rising 3L with offer applying elsewhere?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:39 pm

After doing a search of the forums, I could not find the answer to this question:

I'm working as a SA in NYC this summer, and I assume at this point that I will be given an offer when the program ends in 2 weeks. However, I'm interested in reaching out to other firms that are more highly regarded in the practice area that I'm interested in. Is it risky to start reaching out to them now before I have an offer in hand from my current firm? Should I be worried that my current firm will get word that I am looking around at other firms? My current firm will be on my resume and I'm sure the recruiting departments talk to each other.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Rising 3L with offer applying elsewhere?

Post by bdubs » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After doing a search of the forums, I could not find the answer to this question:

I'm working as a SA in NYC this summer, and I assume at this point that I will be given an offer when the program ends in 2 weeks. However, I'm interested in reaching out to other firms that are more highly regarded in the practice area that I'm interested in. Is it risky to start reaching out to them now before I have an offer in hand from my current firm? Should I be worried that my current firm will get word that I am looking around at other firms? My current firm will be on my resume and I'm sure the recruiting departments talk to each other.
What is the possible benefit in doing this? 3L OCI doesn't start until at least August and that is the primary avenue to get an offer to "trade up."

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:33 pm

bdubs wrote:What is the possible benefit in doing this? 3L OCI doesn't start until at least August and that is the primary avenue to get an offer to "trade up."
Presumably the same reasons why rising 2Ls mass mail before actual OCI starts - there are limited slots and you want to get on a recruiter's radar before they all get filled through OCI, and also because not every firm comes to OCI.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:19 pm

I would wait until you formally find out about your offer (or very close to it) to send these out. What you don't want is someone from X firm's more prestigious practice group calling up your current firm to find out if you got an offer, before you get an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:20 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
bdubs wrote:What is the possible benefit in doing this? 3L OCI doesn't start until at least August and that is the primary avenue to get an offer to "trade up."
Presumably the same reasons why rising 2Ls mass mail before actual OCI starts - there are limited slots and you want to get on a recruiter's radar before they all get filled through OCI, and also because not every firm comes to OCI.
Exactly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Exactly.
Don't know what caliber of firm you're at, but the majority of firms interviewing 3Ls at OCI at my T14 are in the V10. I don't think you need to worry about getting on their radar or "slots" filling up before your OCI. Those firms have pretty standard recruiting processes and aren't the typical "mass mail" targets.

If you want to apply elsewhere I suppose there may be value in reaching out early, but then again you run the very risk of looking bad to your SA firm that you pointed to in your OP.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Should I be worried that my current firm will get word that I am looking around at other firms? My current firm will be on my resume and I'm sure the recruiting departments talk to each other.
yes, you should be very worried, for the very reason you stated

what you can do, however, is prepare your resume and cover letters ahead of time, then if you get an offer just add that you were offered and blast them out

goes without saying, but don't do any of this on your work computer or on work time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:02 pm

I am in the same position (meaning, I am reaching out to other firms before an offer is in hand) although I am trying to change markets and "trade down". All I did was ask whether they plan to interview 3Ls because I would be interested in going to that market. I don't really see the problem in this because the firm I am at now has not offered me (although we have a 100% offer rate and I have been told multiple times that I will be getting an offer) and I am only covering my bases. I think if you framed it like that it would look better than out-and-out applying, if your firm did find out. It is no different then signing up for 3L OCI, which has occurred.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”