email interviewer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

email interviewer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 pm

We received a list of interviewers for each firm for OCI. We also receive random emails from alums advertising their firm and telling us to reach out if we have any questions. One of these emails contained a list of alums that we can reach out to, and the interviewer's name was on the list!! I bid on this firm.
Should I email the interviewer and reach out to them to ask questions? Would this be risky? Or would it help?

*this is anon bc I don't want to out myself if I end up sending the email.

biglawww

New

Re: email interviewer

Post by biglawww » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:26 pm

If the interviewer is an alum and his/her name is included on the list for students to reach out to, i don't see why not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We received a list of interviewers for each firm for OCI. We also receive random emails from alums advertising their firm and telling us to reach out if we have any questions. One of these emails contained a list of alums that we can reach out to, and the interviewer's name was on the list!! I bid on this firm.
Should I email the interviewer and reach out to them to ask questions? Would this be risky? Or would it help?

*this is anon bc I don't want to out myself if I end up sending the email.
If you are going to do it, I wouldn't tell that person you know you are interviewing with them. I think that sets an uncomfortable standard. If you are going to do it, make sure you ask intelligent questions before hand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Be very very very careful with this. I've done somewhere around 30 informational interviews and I've heard from numerous people that if someone comes off like they are just using the person and don't seem genuinely interested that is a real put off and if the person feels used then they may write to recuriting in a negative way. Further, I "accidently" had 2 informational interviews with alumni who interview and both times they brought it up at the end that they were interviewing and looked forward to seeing me again etc. so it worked out. So I would let them bring it up if at all and as other people said ask well thought questions that gets the person talking about themselves so it doesn't seem like your trying to game the system and get a dry run of an interview and wasting the attorney's time.

Anonymous as don't want to be outed from my previous meetings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:31 pm

So I would def not mention anything about the interview when I reach out to them. But I guess what I'm most confused about is whether there is a real benefit that can come out of this. If there is a chance that this could really help me get the job when I see this person again during the interview, then it might be worth a shot. But if it really wouldn't help either way then there's no point in taking the risk.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:41 pm

This is different because you recieved a solicitation from someone at that firm to contact that person specifically because they want you to consider hiring into that firm. It's not like you're premptively cold-emailing that person. I see nothing wrong with emailing that person, being sure to mention you recieved an email from so-and-so that listed you as a alum willing to talk to prospective hires.

If you did do this, I think I'd mention that you bid on the firm, and just wanted to learn as much as you could about the firm beforehand and decided to jump on this unique invitation. Don't hide it - if you did, at OCI, then they'll be like, "oh, THAT's why this guy/girl reached out to me. What a sneaky S.O.B....." Just be upfront - you're going to make a first impression once, whether at the informational interview or OCI, so whatever you choose, just treat them both as a first interview. It could go well, or that person could decide you're not a good fit - but thats the same whether they meet you first at OCI or not. And, on the plus side, maybe you DON'T like the firm, and can reallocate your bid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”