End of SA at Big law - how to thank? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
EistMoran

New

End of SA at Big law - how to thank?

Post by EistMoran » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:51 am

I've had a great experience at my 1L SA and want to say thank you to the many attorneys (partners and associates) that have taken the time to work with me and/or help me. Is it appropriate to send handwritten cards after leaving or to place on the desk? Emails seem impersonal but maybe are most appropriate? For other jobs I've brought in baked goods or something on the last day - but in biglaw environment that seems inappropriate. Ideas?

Bronte

Gold

Re: End of SA at Big law - how to thank?

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 am

I walked into the offices of the various lawyers I worked with, shook their hands, and said thanks.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:49 am

If Biglaw attorneys would really find baked goods to be inappropriate/look down on you for making delicious treats then they are all monsters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 am

I was wondering myself. My last day corresponds to the last day of my mentor, who will be both going on maternity leave and switching geographic locations. So I'm getting her a little gift for her baby as a thanks and best wishes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:26 am

Buying maternity presents seems inappropriate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering myself. My last day corresponds to the last day of my mentor, who will be both going on maternity leave and switching geographic locations. So I'm getting her a little gift for her baby as a thanks and best wishes.
this seems really weird

OP, bronte is right, just go in, shake hands, say something pleasant about working with them, leave it short and sweet.

Mount Elbrus

New

Post by Mount Elbrus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 am

Don't overthink it. Do whatever you want - within reason. Not sure why baked goods are inappropriate for Big Law - I have seen them several times in various offices.

bld2414

New

Post by bld2414 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:46 am

I gave my mentor a big bottle o rum. He liked it.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:48 am

EistMoran wrote:I've had a great experience at my 1L SA and want to say thank you to the many attorneys (partners and associates) that have taken the time to work with me and/or help me. Is it appropriate to send handwritten cards after leaving or to place on the desk? Emails seem impersonal but maybe are most appropriate? For other jobs I've brought in baked goods or something on the last day - but in biglaw environment that seems inappropriate. Ideas?

Am I the only one who sees this as unprofessional? I don't understand this urge to effusively thank people who were just doing their job. But this may be my own pet peeve.

I would go into everyone's office to tell them goodbye, shake hands and tell them what a wonderful summer you had, how much you learned, and say it was great to work with them.

If you plan to stay in touch, mention that as well but don't do that with every single person. Pick the people you can rely on for references in the future and any friends you made.

A gift for a mentor might be great I guess, depends on your relationship.
Last edited by NYstate on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 am

I don't think maternity gifts are necessarily inappropriate - it sounds like the person who posted that has discussed his/her mentor's upcoming maternity leave, it's not like it's a secret. Lots of workplaces do baby showers. Also, something particular for a mentor is a little different from just thanking people you worked for.

I agree that it's not necessary to do cards/baked goods for everyone, though. (And the maternity gift isn't necessary either, I'm just saying it's not automatically weird.)

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm

we bought a giant cheesecake and invited all the partners and associates we worked with for a small office party

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:00 pm

NYstate wrote:
EistMoran wrote:I've had a great experience at my 1L SA and want to say thank you to the many attorneys (partners and associates) that have taken the time to work with me and/or help me. Is it appropriate to send handwritten cards after leaving or to place on the desk? Emails seem impersonal but maybe are most appropriate? For other jobs I've brought in baked goods or something on the last day - but in biglaw environment that seems inappropriate. Ideas?

Am I the only one who sees this as unprofessional? I don't understand this urge to effusively thank people who were just doing their job. But this may be my own pet peeve.

I would go into everyone's office to tell them goodbye, shake hands and tell them what a wonderful summer you had, how much you learned, and say it was great to work with them.

If you plan to stay in touch, mention that as well but don't do that with every single person. Pick the people you can rely on for references in the future and any friends you made.

A gift for a mentor might be great I guess, depends on your relationship.
It isn't necessarily within their job to be a great mentor though. I made sure to thank and hug the attorneys that really made it a point to help me improve.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:42 am

Bronte wrote:I walked into the offices of the various lawyers I worked with, shook their hands, and said thanks.
This. Although I could see MAYBE getting a little something for your mentor if he or she really was a great mentor and frequently took time out of their day to help you out with things.

If you had a secretary you should probably get them something, though. $50 gift card would be appropriate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think maternity gifts are necessarily inappropriate - it sounds like the person who posted that has discussed his/her mentor's upcoming maternity leave, it's not like it's a secret. Lots of workplaces do baby showers. Also, something particular for a mentor is a little different from just thanking people you worked for.

I agree that it's not necessary to do cards/baked goods for everyone, though. (And the maternity gift isn't necessary either, I'm just saying it's not automatically weird.)

It's weird. The attorney has been pregnant for 3x as long as she has known this person. It is transparent, insincere and a tad bit immature.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:55 am

Just posting this for the fun of it and to give you guys some laughs, but here's my best.

When I left my job as a paralegal at a law firm before I left for law school, I recorded a self-written song detailing my journey through the firm, naming various bosses and coworkers and events that happened during my tenure. Then I sent it to everybody I was close with, plus like twenty people I didn't know that well but sort of knew. Definitely a weird move and not recommended, but they certainly remember me! haha

eerie_erie

Bronze

Post by eerie_erie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:29 am

Ask the junior associates what they think is best (esp. ones who were SAs).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think maternity gifts are necessarily inappropriate - it sounds like the person who posted that has discussed his/her mentor's upcoming maternity leave, it's not like it's a secret. Lots of workplaces do baby showers. Also, something particular for a mentor is a little different from just thanking people you worked for.

It's weird. The attorney has been pregnant for 3x as long as she has known this person. It is transparent, insincere and a tad bit immature.
I think that's a little unkind - length of time knowing the person doesn't have to make it transparent/insincere, and have you ever worked with people who are pregnant? like I said, baby showers and so on are extremely common. I'm not saying buy a sterling silver engraved rattle, but you can buy a pair of booties at Whole Foods for very little cost, as a gesture.

However, to the person who originally posted about this, clearly there are diverging opinions about whether this is weird, so make of that what you will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm the OP on the maternity gift. I really don't understand how people think it's weird. If it clarifies, I was just going to buy a little sweater or something for the baby, and I'm also a woman. Her last day is a couple of days before mine. Given that we may be working in the same practice group and having a long-standing relationship in the future working across offices, I thought it would be a nice gesture to thank the person. My firm is known for having a really nice culture, and I felt like our relationship is such that it doesn't seem weird to me.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:12 pm

I think it's weird because an SA is essentially an extended job interview. Why are you thanking people with gifts for recruiting you, evaluating you, and doing their job (working with you)?

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:33 pm

bk187 wrote:I think it's weird because an SA is essentially an extended job interview. Why are you thanking people with gifts for recruiting you, evaluating you, and doing their job (working with you)?
Well, not all attorneys are chomping at the bit to work with SAs. For the full-time associates/partners, it often take more of their time to answer questions and review/correct an SA's work product than it would for them just to do the assignment themselves. Moreover, they've been taking you out to lunch and to social events all summer, and presumably providing at least a little mentoring/advice. Why wouldn't a minor gift be appropriate? I certainly don't think you're required to do so, and at most you should only extend gifts to the one or two people who helped you the most, but I don't think it's weird at all. It's common courtesy.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:40 pm

I don't think it's at all necessary, and tbh I suspect it's women who are more likely to do it than men. But if someone really wants to do it, I don't think a small token - like a card - is necessarily weird. Like with everything, it probably depends on how you do it.

Though I do think a good general rule of thumb is to give gifts to subordinates, not superiors.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”