Emailing attorneys in totally different practice area Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Emailing attorneys in totally different practice area

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 am

my father met someone throgh this job that works at a firm and asked if i her could email her she said that would be great

she practices in a completely different practice area than i want to do but she works at one of my dream firms... any advice on what to say in email normally when i reach and network with attorneys i give them the spiel about wanting to work in their practice area...i would love to know more about it...etc.

i know this sounds like a stupid question i just dont want to sound like a dumbass

Lateral2013

New

Re: Emailing attorneys in totally different practice area

Post by Lateral2013 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:my father met someone throgh this job that works at a firm and asked if i her could email her she said that would be great

she practices in a completely different practice area than i want to do but she works at one of my dream firms... any advice on what to say in email normally when i reach and network with attorneys i give them the spiel about wanting to work in their practice area...i would love to know more about it...etc.

i know this sounds like a stupid question i just dont want to sound like a dumbass
In general, something like "My father John Smith met you at the Widget Conference and suggested I send you my resume. " Focus on the strength her firm has in the practice area you want and why you want that practice area. Then ask for what you want. Do you want to talk to her specifically about working at the firm? Do you want her to pass the resume on to someone? Do you want her to give you advice about something specific?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”