Plaintiffs litigation road map? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Viper12

New

Plaintiffs litigation road map?

Post by Viper12 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi there. I go to an NYC area T2. My goal is to work in plaintiffs litigation (personal injury, mass torts, medical malpractice). Can someone help me with a general road map to attaining this goal. Ie. what grades am I looking for, what firms should i be looking to work in/gain experience, should i be looking to tranfer to T1? I'm in my second semester now and will provide grade info of necessary. Thanks in advance!

Viper12

New

Re: Plaintiffs litigation road map?

Post by Viper12 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 am

Bump. I'm just looking to know what my prospects are and how I should plan with an eye towards tort litigation. I really appreciate any input or advice

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:10 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:22 am

You have to be an awesome networker. Get in early. These firms are incredibly difficult to get into without some connections early on. I work at a small, PI boutique.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am

Viper12 wrote:Hi there. I go to an NYC area T2. My goal is to work in plaintiffs litigation (personal injury, mass torts, medical malpractice). Can someone help me with a general road map to attaining this goal. Ie. what grades am I looking for, what firms should i be looking to work in/gain experience, should i be looking to tranfer to T1? I'm in my second semester now and will provide grade info of necessary. Thanks in advance!
Really need more info.

Personal injury, mass torts, and med-mal are really different and distinct practice areas. And personal injury can mean many many different things (e.g. slip-and-fall, battery, etc.) and depending on your jurisdiction med-mal is really a dead letter given the statutory caps on pain and suffering many states have passed.

Feel free to PM if you want, but generally you need to figure out first where you want to work (e.g., what state or states), then figure out exactly what area of law you want start with, then figure out your platform. Do you want to be in a small firm, where you are essentially a runner for bigger firms (e.g. Girardi Keese, motley rice, etc.), or do you want to be in one of those larger firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 am

anon168 wrote:
Viper12 wrote:Hi there. I go to an NYC area T2. My goal is to work in plaintiffs litigation (personal injury, mass torts, medical malpractice). Can someone help me with a general road map to attaining this goal. Ie. what grades am I looking for, what firms should i be looking to work in/gain experience, should i be looking to tranfer to T1? I'm in my second semester now and will provide grade info of necessary. Thanks in advance!
Really need more info.

Personal injury, mass torts, and med-mal are really different and distinct practice areas. And personal injury can mean many many different things (e.g. slip-and-fall, battery, etc.) and depending on your jurisdiction med-mal is really a dead letter given the statutory caps on pain and suffering many states have passed.

Feel free to PM if you want, but generally you need to figure out first where you want to work (e.g., what state or states), then figure out exactly what area of law you want start with, then figure out your platform. Do you want to be in a small firm, where you are essentially a runner for bigger firms (e.g. Girardi Keese, Motley Rice, etc.), or do you want to be in one of those larger firms?
My firm does all of the above. No cap in my state.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”