LA city attorney vs externship with state judge Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LA city attorney vs externship with state judge

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:52 pm

About the same? Which is better?

adonai

Silver

Re: LA city attorney vs externship with state judge

Post by adonai » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Same. Go with what interests you most and what might help you get a job later down the line. Both those options probably won't do the latter. The judge might give you more substantive writing assignments and you will probably get to experience a variety of practice areas. Friends have told me 1L LA city/district attorney gigs are basically admin interns. If I had to choose, I'd probably choose the judge if it was an area of law that I liked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 am

Not all City attorney jobs are created equal, though. A friend of mine is clerking at DWP LACA office and absolutely loves it and has gotten a lot of good work (not to mention a marketable area of practice.) Police litigation certainly has it's perks, too, but I'm not entirely sure about other areas of the CA's office.

That said, I agree with adonai that they may not give you as much interesting stuff as a 1L (assuming that's what this is for.)

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:50 am

Yeah, they tend to emphasize "exposure to the system" more than anything else for 1Ls it seems. That means a lot of sitting in on court hearings/trials, and making case binders. I don't think they do a lot of writing so memos would be a rarer occurrence, depending on what division you extern for. The more sensitive/high profile the unit, the less substantive work you'll get. From my research, LA City takes 100 or so summer externs, so I wouldn't count on getting much substantive work. LA superior court judges each take only a couple externs, so there would be much more substantive work to do there.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:58 pm

OP here,

I think I will be in the civil section dealing with like slip and fall cases for the city attorney position. But it seems like the state judge has more substantive work according to you guys.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About the same? Which is better?
yes. the person u get along with better, i.e. not just judge but clerks, other interns, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”