Student Loan Consolidation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Student Loan Consolidation

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Can someone explain to me how I'll be paying off my loans when I graduate?

I have half of my loans at 7.9 (PLUS) and half at 6.8 (Direct). But I have like 8+ actual loans that I've received during law school (again, either DIRECT or PLUS, like everyone else), all in differing amounts. Is there a minimum requirement with each or can I combine them (all the PLUS's together, all of the DIRECTs together)? Can I combine the PLUS and DIRECT?

okinawa

Bronze

Re: Student Loan Consolidation

Post by okinawa » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm

You could combine them all but then you'd pay on one loan at an averaged interest rate. If you had $50,000 total in PLUS and $50,000 in Direct, you'd pay $100,000 at 7.38%, which works out to be slightly more in interest (like, less than $200). If it's easier for you, it's probably worth the very slight increase.

If your loans are all through one servicer, like Sallie Mae, you can just click a button to pay the minimums on all loans anyway without consolidation. Upside to this if you pay extra one month, you can put that extra toward a plus loan instead of a stafford. Downside is, if your loans aren't all through one servicer, it's a pain to track multiple payments each month.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”