Labor and Employment Litigation Exit Options Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Labor and Employment Litigation Exit Options

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:59 pm

Was wondering if anyone has any insight into exit options available for labor and employment litigation. Also, how hard would it be to lateral to peer firms? Thanks for the help!

Anonymous User

Re: Labor and Employment Litigation Exit Options

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 pm

anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Labor and employment litigation is pretty vague. Are you doing labor law? Employment? Class actions? ERISA? Biglaw? Boutique? Plaintiff's side?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:04 pm

I am far, far from an expert - but i've heard they have more widely available inhouse exit opportunities relative to other litigation fields due to the frequency with which these issues come up in a corporate setting. In general, corporate inhouse counsel are ~1/3 former litigators and ~2/3 former corporate attorneys, despite litigation positions at large law firms being far more common than corporate positions.

There are definitely positions in smaller firms and the government (EEO(C?) or whatever) in the field as well

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Last summer I worked with a labor & employment group at a large firm. The impression I got was that most people who left either went in-house or to a smaller l&e boutique. One thing that might be worth noting, though, is that a lot of in-house l&e positions (at least in my area) require 5-8 years of experience rather than 3-5.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Labor and employment litigation is pretty vague. Are you doing labor law? Employment? Class actions? ERISA? Biglaw? Boutique? Plaintiff's side?
I'm a second year at a mid-size lit boutique. The employment group here is fairly small and its mostly defense work. I'm just not so sure about my future here and would like to know my options later so I can plan accordingly. Thanks for all the responses. Anyone know if its hard to lateral to a peer firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 pm

3L here (so not much experience)

I majored in labor & employment law in undergrad (weird right?) and have looked into options in this field. It is fairly wide. You have the entire HR field open (there are more than a few JDs in HR) as well as unions/union busting (Labor law), benefits advisory work, personnel policy advisory work etc. so there's more than just litigation, from what I can tell

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Labor and employment litigation is pretty vague. Are you doing labor law? Employment? Class actions? ERISA? Biglaw? Boutique? Plaintiff's side?
I'm a second year at a mid-size lit boutique. The employment group here is fairly small and its mostly defense work. I'm just not so sure about my future here and would like to know my options later so I can plan accordingly. Thanks for all the responses. Anyone know if its hard to lateral to a peer firm?
Okay. In that case, depending on the reputation of where you are, I think you'd have pretty decent options. 3-5 years is a popular time for firms that don't really take 1st years to want laterals, and as a defense-side you'll have more firm options, more in-house options within an HR department. I've heard that FLSA and retaliation are growth areas, as is Obamacare. If you wrote an article on an emerging issue in one of those areas, especially something like the impact of Obamacare on employers, you'd have an even more marketable niche.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L here (so not much experience)

I majored in labor & employment law in undergrad (weird right?) and have looked into options in this field. It is fairly wide. You have the entire HR field open (there are more than a few JDs in HR) as well as unions/union busting (Labor law), benefits advisory work, personnel policy advisory work etc. so there's more than just litigation, from what I can tell
Do you (or anyone) have an idea of how plaintiff's employment firms/unions/union firms look at people leaving large firms? Thanks for any insight.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 pm

My impression is that plaintiffs' side firms/union firms are not fans of those coming from large firms, because large firms (usually) represent employers, and that's a divide you can't cross. I've especially heard that where unions are involved, you don't cross sides (well, actually, I've heard this about the plaintiffs' side bar, too). I suppose you might be able to make an argument that you've "seen the light" and want to turn your employer-side experience against the employers. But especially with unions, if you've litigated against unions, my understanding is they won't want anything to do with you.

(The above is assuming you were doing L/E at the big firm. If you were only doing stuff completely unrelated to L/E, I don't know how they'd react.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:My impression is that plaintiffs' side firms/union firms are not fans of those coming from large firms, because large firms (usually) represent employers, and that's a divide you can't cross. I've especially heard that where unions are involved, you don't cross sides (well, actually, I've heard this about the plaintiffs' side bar, too). I suppose you might be able to make an argument that you've "seen the light" and want to turn your employer-side experience against the employers. But especially with unions, if you've litigated against unions, my understanding is they won't want anything to do with you.

(The above is assuming you were doing L/E at the big firm. If you were only doing stuff completely unrelated to L/E, I don't know how they'd react.)
This was more the situation I was imagining. Thank you for the info though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Okay. In that case, depending on the reputation of where you are, I think you'd have pretty decent options. 3-5 years is a popular time for firms that don't really take 1st years to want laterals, and as a defense-side you'll have more firm options, more in-house options within an HR department. I've heard that FLSA and retaliation are growth areas, as is Obamacare. If you wrote an article on an emerging issue in one of those areas, especially something like the impact of Obamacare on employers, you'd have an even more marketable niche.
Thanks for this!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:My impression is that plaintiffs' side firms/union firms are not fans of those coming from large firms, because large firms (usually) represent employers, and that's a divide you can't cross. I've especially heard that where unions are involved, you don't cross sides (well, actually, I've heard this about the plaintiffs' side bar, too). I suppose you might be able to make an argument that you've "seen the light" and want to turn your employer-side experience against the employers. But especially with unions, if you've litigated against unions, my understanding is they won't want anything to do with you.

Sorry not to be more help!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote: (The above is assuming you were doing L/E at the big firm. If you were only doing stuff completely unrelated to L/E, I don't know how they'd react.)
If you're doing Lit and want to move to Employment, that's probably fine. Depending on the plaintiff's side firm, doing some civil rights type pro bono work will really help them not think that you're the enemy, and won't conflict with your current firm's clients.

I can't imagine anything you'd be doing at a firm that would both prepare you to move union side and also not disqualify any union from wanting to hire you. Labor law is just a totally different animal and your biglaw experience won't be that relevant.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”