DOJ Honors Litigation Comp v COA Clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOJ Honors Litigation Comp v COA Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:13 pm

[Edited. Decision made. Thanks.]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Litigation Comp v COA Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Do you ultimately want to work for DOJ? In that component? If so, I would take it, in part because I've heard that if you turn them down they're really unlikely to consider you in future. A COA clerkship would be a great experience, true, but if you were able to get one, you probably have the stats to get you where you want to go in future. But if you ever/ultimately want Biglaw, from what I've seen people here say, you might be better off doing the clerkship, finding a Biglaw job out of the clerkship, then lateraling into DOJ for a while in a few years. (I doubt the same component would take you, but I don't really know). Honestly, it seems to me a lot depends on what you want to do. I would take DOJ in a heartbeat, but then, fedgov is what I want to do. I don't know what you want to do. What are your main concerns? Money? Having something permanent lined up? Exit options? Location? I would think your decision depends to a large extent on how you answer those questions.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you ultimately want to work for DOJ? In that component? If so, I would take it, in part because I've heard that if you turn them down they're really unlikely to consider you in future. A COA clerkship would be a great experience, true, but if you were able to get one, you probably have the stats to get you where you want to go in future. But if you ever/ultimately want Biglaw, from what I've seen people here say, you might be better off doing the clerkship, finding a Biglaw job out of the clerkship, then lateraling into DOJ for a while in a few years. (I doubt the same component would take you, but I don't really know). Honestly, it seems to me a lot depends on what you want to do. I would take DOJ in a heartbeat, but then, fedgov is what I want to do. I don't know what you want to do. What are your main concerns? Money? Having something permanent lined up? Exit options? Location? I would think your decision depends to a large extent on how you answer those questions.
(Sorry, didn't mean to post anon.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:39 pm

[Edited. Decision made. Thanks.]

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:35 pm

OP: what was your decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:22 am

OP here.

Went with DOJ Honors. Realized the only reason I originally applied for the COAs clerkship was because I thought it was a pre-req for the DOJ Honors component.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 am

OP, unless you are someone I've already PMed with, would you mind PMing me to privately answer some questions about your experience?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”