Resume "Interests Section" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JCFindley

Silver

Resume "Interests Section"

Post by JCFindley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:42 pm

OK, trimmed my resume to one page and left room for one line of interests.

Do you call it interests? (example below)

Interests: Photography, Martial Arts, College Sports, Mountaineering, Kayaking, NFL Football

And, anything on my list that is controversial or could be improved?

Thanks

Gorki

Silver

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Post by Gorki » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:50 pm

That is fine.

Take a look at this thread- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=188515

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Gorki wrote:That is fine.

Take a look at this thread- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=188515
Thanks Gorki. That was the thread that convinced me to put one on there. I just couldn't find it to necro the thread and reread it.

Thanks again.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:12 pm

I think ~3 interests is the magic number. I'd take out a couple of yours.

If I was picking from your list, I'd probably choose Photography, Martial Arts, and Kayaking.

Also, I think specificity is good. Do you like a particular kind of photography? (I know nothing about photograph btw, so maybe this doesn't make sense).

Short, specific, and interesting are the keys. You just want something that someone will be comfortable asking you about and you can briefly explain in an enthusiastic way to show you are a real human being.
Last edited by shock259 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:16 pm

shock259 wrote:I think ~3 interests is the magic number. I'd take out a couple of yours.

Also, I think specificity is good. Do you like a particular kind of photography (I know nothing about btw, so maybe this doesn't make sense).

Short, specific, and interesting are the keys. You just want something that someone will be comfortable asking you about and you can briefly explain in an enthusiastic way to show you are a real human being.
Three? But I have a whole line to fill.....

Alright, three it is and can be easily done.

Fine Art Photography would work but it is also in the jobs on my resume so will probably go with martial arts, NCAA and NFL Football and mountaineering

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:18 pm

I remember that's what my CSO insisted on. I thought that was the TLS consensus too but I could be wrong. Maybe you can do more.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 pm

I agree on being more specific. Kayaking/Mountaineering are fine. Photography probably too (though saying DSLR Photography might be better). I would specify which college team/sport and which NFL team (e.g. NY Giants, ND Football, OSU Basketball, Chicago Bears, etc), especially if they are nearby. Same with Martial Arts. Do you practice karate in your spare time? Do you watch MMA and follow a particular fighter?

I also agree on cutting it down. You can have 3-4 columns in a single line and it fills up the entire line, keeps the 3-4 interests equally spaced, and doesn't make it seem cluttered. Listing 6 all separated by a comma is just too much imo.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:30 pm

bk187 wrote:I agree on being more specific. Kayaking/Mountaineering are fine. Photography probably too (though saying DSLR Photography might be better). I would specify which college team/sport and which NFL team (e.g. NY Giants, ND Football, OSU Basketball, Chicago Bears, etc), especially if they are nearby. Same with Martial Arts. Do you practice karate in your spare time? Do you watch MMA and follow a particular fighter?

I also agree on cutting it down. You can have 3-4 columns in a single line and it fills up the entire line, keeps the 3-4 interests equally spaced, and doesn't make it seem cluttered. Listing 6 all separated by a comma is just too much imo.
Thanks.

Football wise it is SEC football and the Packers, neither of which has a big following here in NYC but I can be specific. Martial arts wise I practice Krav Maga and taught self defense. I figure most people have no idea what it is but can be specific. Is there any kind of photography besides DSLR? :D

Thanks again.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Ding b/c he has 5 interests on his rezy? Don't think so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 pm

i have "avid runner, golfer and traveler" ... why is it better to be more specific? aren't you just narrowing the field of potential discussion topics for interviews?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have "avid runner, golfer and traveler" ... why is it better to be more specific? aren't you just narrowing the field of potential discussion topics for interviews?
It's my suspicion that it doesn't look genuine (and secondarily more specificity makes it more likely that the topic will actually be brought up). If you just put "sports" nobody is going to bring that up since it is so broad. I think "NFL football" is still too broad. Whereas if you put "Philadelphia Eagles" someone can bring up something specific about the team.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:58 pm

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have "avid runner, golfer and traveler" ... why is it better to be more specific? aren't you just narrowing the field of potential discussion topics for interviews?
It's my suspicion that it doesn't look genuine (and secondarily more specificity makes it more likely that the topic will actually be brought up). If you just put "sports" nobody is going to bring that up since it is so broad. I think "NFL football" is still too broad. Whereas if you put "Philadelphia Eagles" someone can bring up something specific about the team.
Along these lines, instead of "traveler" I have "travel in
  • ," and people have definitely brought that up in interviews - the specific countries, I mean, not just travel in general. I think more specific makes it more likely someone who comments on it isn't just bringing it up to fill time in the interview, they're genuinely interested, so you're making a connection. So, if you put down "sports" - lots of people like lots of sports, and the only question that really generates in an interview is "what kinds of sports do you like?," which is kind of boring, and isn't going to create much of a connection with an interviewer. But if you put "Philadelphia Eagles" to start with, say you're interviewing in LA and there's an Eagles fan, they can say, "man, wasn't that a dumb trade??" (or whatever the hell football fans talk about), and you're already having a more interesting conversation. Even if you run into someone who hates the Eagles with a passion and starts trash talking them, it's still a more interesting conversation.

(Mind you, despite going into all that analysis, I think the interests section on a resume is way down there on job-application stuff to worry about. A bland one isn't going to *hurt* you, but sometimes the interests help.)

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Along these lines, instead of "traveler" I have "travel in
  • ," and people have definitely brought that up in interviews - the specific countries, I mean, not just travel in general. I think more specific makes it more likely someone who comments on it isn't just bringing it up to fill time in the interview, they're genuinely interested, so you're making a connection. So, if you put down "sports" - lots of people like lots of sports, and the only question that really generates in an interview is "what kinds of sports do you like?," which is kind of boring, and isn't going to create much of a connection with an interviewer. But if you put "Philadelphia Eagles" to start with, say you're interviewing in LA and there's an Eagles fan, they can say, "man, wasn't that a dumb trade??" (or whatever the hell football fans talk about), and you're already having a more interesting conversation. Even if you run into someone who hates the Eagles with a passion and starts trash talking them, it's still a more interesting conversation.

(Mind you, despite going into all that analysis, I think the interests section on a resume is way down there on job-application stuff to worry about. A bland one isn't going to *hurt* you, but sometimes the interests help.)
It took me some convincing to put one on it at all but since I know NOTHING about legal hiring from my previous life, I listen to what people say here. And while it is a small piece of the resume it is the one spot I really have no clue about so I really do appreciate the help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:07 pm

JCFindley wrote:It took me some convincing to put one on it at all but since I know NOTHING about legal hiring from my previous life, I listen to what people say here. And while it is a small piece of the resume it is the one spot I really have no clue about so I really do appreciate the help.
I don't think it's a big deal whether you have it or not. I think my interests were referenced in less than 1/4 of my interviews. My opinion is that you might as well and you might hit it off with someone. It also makes you come across as more human rather than just a piece of paper. But in the end it is unlikely to make or break you whether you have one or not.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:37 am

1L, so no experience with legal interviewing, but my interests section has been helpful with networking. It's a great way to get that personal hook and have something to maintain a line of communication about.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:05 am

It's mainly for the interviewer. No one is going to give you a job just because of your interests section (cue the poster who knows a guy who knows a girl who got a job because of her interests section and insists that that is a representative sample), but if you have something interesting to talk about, it makes you a better interview. Legal interviews are boring as hell, for everyone involved. Almost everyone's resume looks the same, so would you rather talk about law review or hockey or books or whatever? It helps if you can put something unique or memorable. I have something about cars, and when I interviewed at the USAO, the attorney interviewing me was really in to cars and racing. She and I talked about that for most of the interview. Was it solely because of that that I got the internship? Maybe. Probably not. But I'm sure being able to chat for a while about something completely unrelated to law and be a normal person didn't hurt at all.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 am

How does "Fusion Cooking, Scuba Diving, Pet Rescue and Electronic Music" sound?
This will be in addition to dual citizenship, bilingual and UG degree from a third country (which I'm hoping clearly indicates foreign travel)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:22 am

dingbat wrote:How does "Fusion Cooking, Scuba Diving, Pet Rescue and Electronic Music" sound?
This will be in addition to dual citizenship, bilingual and UG degree from a third country (which I'm hoping clearly indicates foreign travel)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:26 am

kalvano wrote:Image
one day...

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:35 am

kalvano wrote:
dingbat wrote:How does "Fusion Cooking, Scuba Diving, Pet Rescue and Electronic Music" sound?

Perfect!

OK, in order to put in the interests section I had to leave off that I went to Army Airborne School at and was the first 2LT selected to fly the B-1B supersonic bomber. My resume will most certainly have more than what I did 1L summer and why I didn't want to do LR.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 am

kalvano wrote:It's mainly for the interviewer. No one is going to give you a job just because of your interests section (cue the poster who knows a guy who knows a girl who got a job because of her interests section and insists that that is a representative sample), but if you have something interesting to talk about, it makes you a better interview. Legal interviews are boring as hell, for everyone involved. Almost everyone's resume looks the same, so would you rather talk about law review or hockey or books or whatever? It helps if you can put something unique or memorable. I have something about cars, and when I interviewed at the USAO, the attorney interviewing me was really in to cars and racing. She and I talked about that for most of the interview. Was it solely because of that that I got the internship? Maybe. Probably not. But I'm sure being able to chat for a while about something completely unrelated to law and be a normal person didn't hurt at all.
Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChikaBoom

Platinum

Post by ChikaBoom » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:45 am

JCFindley wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Perfect!

OK, in order to put in the interests section I had to leave off that I went to Army Airborne School at and was the first 2LT selected to fly the B-1B supersonic bomber. My resume will most certainly have more than what I did 1L summer and why I didn't want to do LR.
Yeah...I don't think you'll be hurting for talking points. :lol:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am

JCFindley wrote: Perfect!

Um, forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, but I would totally put this stuff on a resume over the interests section.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Um, forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, but I would totally put this stuff on a resume over the interests section.
His resume already screams military - leaving that off won't make a big difference (believe it or not)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:50 am

dingbat wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

His resume already screams military - leaving that off won't make a big difference (believe it or not)
Ah, I get it! never mind. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”