S.A. acceptance and regret. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

S.A. acceptance and regret.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 am

Accepted a 2L summer offer with one firm, turning down another. Now having regrets about the choice. Would it be impossible to go to the other one after the summer? Or would am I blacklisted for having turned it down once? Should I just be happy with what I have?

Anonymous User

Re: S.A. acceptance and regret.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted a 2L summer offer with one firm, turning down another. Now having regrets about the choice. Would it be impossible to go to the other one after the summer? Or would am I blacklisted for having turned it down once? Should I just be happy with what I have?
Definitely not blacklisted. But you'd still have to go through the 3L hiring process, which results in very, very few sure things. For example, if you chose SullCrom over Cravath, you can interview with Cravath during 3L OCI if you're having regrets about choosing SullCrom. From my experience, having a past offer gives you a head start since you've already been vetted once by them. But that certainly doesn't mean that you can do anything close to banking on an offer from Cravath. (Although you shouldn't write that possibility off just because you didn't take them up on an SA.)

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted a 2L summer offer with one firm, turning down another. Now having regrets about the choice. Would it be impossible to go to the other one after the summer? Or would am I blacklisted for having turned it down once? Should I just be happy with what I have?
Just call up the firm you turned down and see if they'll re-extend the offer.

It never hurts to ask.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:35 am

Market? Reason for changing your mind?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Definitely not blacklisted. But you'd still have to go through the 3L hiring process, which results in very, very few sure things. For example, if you chose SullCrom over Cravath, you can interview with Cravath during 3L OCI if you're having regrets about choosing SullCrom. From my experience, having a past offer gives you a head start since you've already been vetted once by them. But that certainly doesn't mean that you can do anything close to banking on an offer from Cravath. (Although you shouldn't write that possibility off just because you didn't take them up on an SA.)
It's not even necessarily that hard. If you were polite about turning down the offer / turned it down on good terms, firms will often fast-track you and basically extend an offer after an interview that's really something of a formality.

I had a friend who summered at a V5, had second thoughts, then after her summer went to the V10 she turned down as her second choice and said she was interested again. Even though they weren't interviewing 3Ls on campus, they had her into the office and gave her an offer. The interview was really a formality - basically they wanted to know why she was interested in switching, and confirm that she in fact did get an offer from the summer.

Obviously not all firms will do this, and it may depend on need, but it can be relatively easy in some cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm having some second thoughts as well....basically withdrew from one big firm, after accepting, for another big firm (V100 to V20), for market pay, prestige, and I liked the higher ranked firm more, but I just feel so bad for screwing a firm over like that. Wish I could make everyone happy. Hence the regret.

Who knows, maybe if I get an offer this summer from the V20, the V100 will be open to some discussions for whatever reason (but I highly doubt I would want to go back)

Firms are in the same market, think TX/CHI
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 pm

And to OP, I think you (and I) should be happy with what we have. That's a great way to put it. Big firm offer is way better than no offer. Thank the lord we won't be on IBR.

JO 14

New

Post by JO 14 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Similar interesting dilemma. My friend accepted an offer and then a few days later received a higher paying offer. She turned down the higher offer explaining that it was simply a timing problem. The firm understood and was actually complimentary that she was not reneging on the first firm. They advised her to call back next year if she wanted to. Nobody actually knows how that might play out. . . some firms might not be keen on hiring a 3L, hard to predict.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:13 pm

split summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”