Rejecting a SA offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rejecting a SA offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:43 pm

When I reject a firm, and the firm asks me where I've accepted, can I say that I'd rather not reveal that information? The firm I'm turning down is in my home market, where I would eventually like to end up, so I would prefer not to tell that firm that I'm going to be in D.C., because during my callback I expressed a strong preference for the home market (I just ended up picking the D.C. firm because I think it's a better fit for me at the beginning of my career). Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Rejecting a SA offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:49 pm

I would not deny that sort of information. IF they ask, tell them. Come up with a good excuse... I talked to some graduates/attorneys/bs and they mentioned that it is a good idea to spend some time in DC, and then return to local market. That way you signal you want to go back, and you provide a seemingly possible reason for going elsewhere. At the end of day, that firm would rather have you as a lateral later in your career, rather than as an SA.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”