Which market? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Help!

Jenner DC
28%
Top firm in secondary market
72%

Total votes: 18

Anonymous User

Which market?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm

I really want to live in a secondary city (think Boston/Atlanta) and I got an offer at the top firm there. I also have a tremendous opportunity at Jenner DC, which I loved. I want litigation, but beyond that I don't have specific career goals, other than to land in this secondary city eventually. I'm kind of tired of moving around but I worry I'll regret not taking Jenner. I know it's a great dilemma to have, but what would you do?

(Those who know me in real life can certainly identify me from this, so.. please don't make fun of me too much! :) )

Anonymous User

Re: Which market?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 am

Hate to do it, but just one bump? I know it's silly to turn anonymously to strangers to make a big decision for me, but I'd really appreciate opinions

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am

How could anyone ever answer this for you?

No do we know enough. How much debt to you have? What's the salary at the top firm? What's their offer rate? What's Jenner's offer rate? How do you value the subjective differencs between the cities?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am

The Duck wrote:How could anyone ever answer this for you?

No do we know enough. How much debt to you have? What's the salary at the top firm? What's their offer rate? What's Jenner's offer rate? How do you value the subjective differencs between the cities?
I know no one can answer this for me, I'm just wondering what others would do in my situation-- I'm looking to hear others' opinions and hope it will help me come to my own choice.

Anyway, I'll have about $50K in debt, the salary at the top firm is in the $140 range, offer rates at both have been around 100% I think, and if I could decide how to value subjective differences the decision would be easy :-/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:46 am

also holding a Jenner DC offer and really loved them. Pretty much loved every single one of my callback interviewers, which was pretty freaking rare.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:27 am

Look at the real offer rate on NALP. Do not assume it's high just because it is a strong firm in its city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 am

Jenner DC opens more doors than you imagine. It's still considered very elite in liberal circles and has an impressive alumni network. Also, if you summer you will get an offer. This is still a personal decision, though ...

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:23 pm

I picked the secondary market. If that's where you want to be eventually anyway, go there now. With 160k and a CoL that's slightly lower than DC, you can start saving earlier to pay off your loans and save for the house/kids/life thing. Have fun!

Edit: just saw that the firm is the 140k range, which is just ghetto Biglaw. Reject that shit and go to Jenner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Hmm thanks all! Definitely things to think about.

It looks like it would be possible to split my summer and go to both. Career services is telling me this is a bad idea because it hurts my chances of an offer at both, but career services also always pushes me to do to the most prestigious things and doesn't always put my interests before their own. What do you think?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hmm thanks all! Definitely things to think about.

It looks like it would be possible to split my summer and go to both. Career services is telling me this is a bad idea because it hurts my chances of an offer at both, but career services also always pushes me to do to the most prestigious things and doesn't always put my interests before their own. What do you think?
Career services is correct in advising you that it hurts your chances at an offer at both.

I would do Jenner and, if you still want to, re-apply or lateral back to the smaller market later. It will be much easier to undo one of these decisions than the other.

But again, you haven't revealed the actual NALP-reported offer rate, so that's still making me nervous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:22 pm

IAFG wrote:But again, you haven't revealed the actual NALP-reported offer rate, so that's still making me nervous.
This is important. If the secondary market is Atlanta (or another larger southern market like Charlotte), then it is very common for a couple no offers per class. Mine had 2 out of 7-8 SAs. If I were you I would go with the security of Jenner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:55 pm

OP here: Just double-checked- both firms reported 100% offer rates, according to NALP

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”