Foley Hoag (Boston) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Foley Hoag (Boston)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Have heard nothing but good things about this firm, and met nothing but good people. Any downsides to working here that I should be thinking about? Offer rates? Financial health? Quality of life?

Me: 2L, slightly wary of life at the biggest of the BigLaw firms, looking to stay local long-term, not wed to any practice area in particular.

(Of course, maybe I shouldn't go looking for bad news!)

Anonymous User

Re: Foley Hoag (Boston)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:53 pm

The only downside I've been able to come up with is (possibly) offer rates. According to NALP, they had 16 SAs in 2011, "considered" 14 of them for permanent jobs, and offered 13. Of course, 13/16 isn't awful, but it's far enough from 100% to cause a lot of stress.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The only downside I've been able to come up with is (possibly) offer rates. According to NALP, they had 16 SAs in 2011, "considered" 14 of them for permanent jobs, and offered 13. Of course, 13/16 isn't awful, but it's far enough from 100% to cause a lot of stress.
I'd like to point out that it's probably actually 13/14. "Considered" for permanent job might mean that the other two were either a) 1Ls, b) clerks throughout the school year, or c) something I haven't thought of yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Those statistics could have something to do with the fact that they don't consider 1Ls for permanent offers but instead invite them to come back the following summer. Apparently, they gave everyone offers this past summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those statistics could have something to do with the fact that they don't consider 1Ls for permanent offers but instead invite them to come back the following summer. Apparently, they gave everyone offers this past summer.
The 16 number from 2011 was just 2Ls.

It's not clear to me what being "considered" for an offer means.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Apparently, they gave everyone offers this past summer.
I heard this as well. Good to see it from another source.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

they no-offered one person from the summer of 2010. The rest were hired and are currently pretty happy. Keep in mind that your starting date is likely to be January.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”